55 gal lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfishtoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a 55 gal saltwater with corals and fish and have a vho light system with 330 watts the light is 48" long x 12" wide, my question is I want to use halide for better coral growth. Do I use one 400 watt or do I use two 250 watt light fixture or two 400 watt lights. please give me some advice for my tank. sorry new to this!

i have an Outer Orbit HQI fixture it has 2x 150 mh bulbs and 2x 130 watt pc bulbs check into one of these units i dont think you need 250 or 400 watt bulbs for a 55g aquarium

exactly what lighting you want will depend in some extent on what types of corals you want. Most 55's have a center brace. If you go with a single MH and hang it over the center of the tank this brace will block the brightest point of your MH and cast a noticible shadow in the middle of your display. For that reason alone I would suggest a two-light setup, whichever wattage you go for.

I have a 492 watt MH / PC fixture. 2x150w HQI 2x96w Actinics. You would need 2 halides since they only have a span of about 2 feet and your tank is 4 feet long.

Thanks for the replies, I have in my tank now,
bubble coral
candy cane coral
frogspawn
zoanthids
mushrooms
green star polyps
leather coral
fish and shrimp, snails, hermit crabs, star fish, feather dusters, live rock

I just get confused on total watts, like if you use 2x150 halide plus 2x130 = 560 watts or is it 2x150 plus 2x130 = 280 watts being total used.
Please help shed some light, so I can buy the right set up for my corals the first time.
yes my 55 gallon has a brace in the middle, about 3/4 inch wide. I would like to use two pendant lights if possible. thanks....

whats the max watts per gallon that u can have?? is there no limit as long as the temp stays in range?

Back
Top Bottom