Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2003, 01:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to riptide
55 Gallon Lighting Conversion

Guys,

My 55 is in serious need of a lighting upgrade... Currently still configured with original cheap dual plastic covers with single 40w strip light, standard FW type Setup with 50/50 actinics.. Im getting great coraline grow but would like to move in to inverts before long.... Are there any companies that build a Canopy/lighting system for convertion of this size tank? What would be the optimal lighting requirments for a 55 reef system?

Old 11-24-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
cj10488

My lighting on my 55g consists of 2x250w MH lights alond with 2x55w actinic PCs Very nice and bright...

James
Old 11-24-2003, 04:38 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

The optimal lighting system is determined largely by what you want to keep in the tank.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 08:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just bought the JEBO 4X55 light off of eBay today. What types of inverts would I be able to keep in my 55gal. I am about ready to set it up. I got my Aqua C Remora today in the mail. I also bought some dead rock to put in the tank because I can't afford as much live rock as I would like to. So, I bought 30 lbs of dead rock and plan on buying about 25-40 lbs of live rock. I am leaning towards etropicals.com. I was impressed by the pictures they have and their prices are really unbeatable compared to the LFS. I am going to definitely get a couple clowns after the tank cycles. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-25-2003, 09:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to riptide
I would suggest using Liverocks.com...... Florida supplier that cultures facies offshore and in the florida keys in manmade reefs.... Not harvested natural liverock...
Old 11-25-2003, 09:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would use Liverocks.com, but I am not particular to the looks of it. I personally like the look better of etropicals rock. Also, the price allows me to purchase enough rock.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Zack
have you seen both kinds gulf and keys?
Old 11-29-2003, 08:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have actually changed my mind and have decided to go with http://www.gulf-view.com

I have read some good things about them and they also use cultured rock. I am going to get the 30 lb special they have for 133 dollars. I will order it in a few weeks. Heard that their rock has lots of life and haven't seen too many complaints.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

for what its worth i just bought live rock for 1.60 a pound from http://www.etropicals.com/product/pr...44&pCatId=1359
i havent received the package yet but it dosnt sound too bad. good luck

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, conversion, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com