55 gallon reef aquarium UPDATE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReeferChick420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good evening everyone i have had a 55 gallon reef aquarium running for about four and a half months. i have a reef breederss LED photon 36, a reef octopus classic bh 1000, a 300 watt heater, and a wavemaker wp25...

my fish and inverts collection:
~i have two breeder clownfish,
~one neon cleaner goby,
~two sally lightfoot crabs,
~a few emerald crabs,
~a few astrea snails and two turbo snails

= i plan on getting a six-line wrasse, a flame angel, and a yellow tang to finish off my fish collection... i know the yellow tang is to big for my tank but he will be my last addition and i will get a small one....
=i recently learned that i have two small bristle worms next to my garden of zoas that i have to remove them... i heard i just pluck them out with tweezers but does anyone have any other tips on how to remove them... cuz its going to be crazy trying to catch them...

the types of coral:
~fuzzy mushroom (suprisingly my favorite one)
~three green mushrooms
~green star polyp... he was on the bottom and doing fairly good but i heard they do better higher up with more water movement so i raised it not it is in the middle of my tank but its been about a week and only half of them are open... should i lower it back down?
~bubble coral
~about five different zoas
and two different frogspawns... however these two arent doing so well either... they are not dying but they are not fully extended either... should i target feed them?

any comments or advice would be appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Why are you going to remove the bristle worms? They are good part of your clean up crew.
As for the tang, size doesn't really change much. I would highly suggest a different choice in fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

the lfs guy said it would kill my zoas... ive only seen two and they are really small

I have a yellow tang in my 55 gal mixed tank. It does fine. However I am worried about your other two fish choices.

Leave the bristle worms, they do fine in my tank and they never harm my Zoas. Nor did I ever hear people who have problem with them. The only problem people have is they touch them with bare hand...

why are you worried about my other two choices?

the flame angel is questionable with coral but ive had two before and they never touched any coral so i want to try my luck but the lfs said that if something happens within a week i can return it...

and the six line wrasse because it was my mothers favorite so i want to get it... ive never had one before but i heard they can be aggressive... and i have many amphipods (or copepods im not positively sure) so the wrasse will eat them

I don't think they go well together. One goes crazy the other one will make it worse. Flaming angel should be the last fish to add to your tank. You have two fishes that don't belong to a 55 gallon tank (flame and tang). On top of that I found six line wrasse can be difficult to get to eat frozen food.

Just my 2cents you may very well be fine with them.

JMO, forget the yellow tang. Try a Kole instead. The flame is a 50/50 deal. Some never touch corals, others do. Your wrasse will work those worms over.

I'd second a Kole as a much better choice.
When it comes to dwarf angels, always skip them with hard corals. They can go fine for years before going postal. My coral beauty is preventing me from keeping clams now.
I loved my 6 line when I had one in my first tank. Was a really great fish. Only reason I don't have one now is because I had a mandarin for so long and found a fairy wrasse before a 6 line presented itself.

see how they are irritating the zoas i just hope it wont put it under stress

Those guys are a valued part of your clean up crew. Just because they stroll across your zoas as they do their job doesn't make them a bad guy. You can get a handful of hermit crabs and they will do the exact same thing making your zoas close up too.
BUT, if you have to get rid of them there are traps that are made for such. You might be able to borrow one from your LFS or even find a DIY trap as well.

If they are a good part of the cuc why do people get rid of them?

A ton of misunderstanding about them and thinking they are all fireworms, when there is only one fireworm. These guys will get huge if you overfeed your tank and then people blame the worm for doing its job and you start seeing coral and fish deaths...it HAS to be the giant worm!
And with a side note, the bristles on these guys can hurt. Just like getting stung like a bee.

I have a coral beauty and flame angel in my 55 gallon. No regrets yet.

I have a coral beauty and flame angel in my 55 gallon. No regrets yet.

You got lucky if they're getting along so far...(y)
Guess time will tell if you still have 2 dwarf angels down the road :eek:

Well how about a kole tang, six-line wrasse, and a flame angel?

So, I'll reflect here real quick to make sure we're on the same page...standard 55 tank with no other inhabitants besides the clean up crew and some coral. Want a kole, 6 line, and flame angel? Could work if you introduce the flame last.

The trick to keeping dwarf angles together is having lots of room and lots of caves for escape. I have had 4 together for almost 15 years (same ones). But you've seen my reef, there are hundreds of places for each fish to hang out without fear of attack. In a smaller space, they can't get out of each other's way and fights can suddenly erupt. Flames in particular vary widely as to their taste for polyps. They constantly pick at surfaces and that alone can irritate some sensitive corals, dusters and clams. As said earlier, a angel of any kind eliminates having clams IMO.

Back
Top Bottom