55 Gallon Reef Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hardparts2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was goin to use Current USA Orbit 48" 4 x 96 Watt Power Compact Strip Light W/4 Lunar Lights which is a total of 384 watts on my 55 gallon and $ 389.00. But after searching I found this http://www.hellolights.com/4654lamvhore.html which is 440 watts of vho but I am going to order the extra ballast so I can do day and night light cycle For like $ 402.00 including shipping an bulbs. But if I want to get a bigger tank later I will have 880 watts of lighting power that I can use. Is this correct?

Thanks Bob

To be honest about lighting,

It really depends on what you want to have..

I recommend t5 lights there cheaper, use less wattage and bulbs last longer.

For instance:

4 x 54w t5 216w = 260w PowerCompacts

On t5 you have to make sure though each bulb has its own reflector. I like the ones from sunlight supply.

VHO Lights are good to but can cause heat problems, PC Lights take to much wattage.

VHO Lights are good to but can cause heat problems

That is an incorrect and very broad asumption. I have been running VHO tubes over my 55 gallon reef for years with no heat issues whatsover. The fixture actually rests on the lip of the tank and the bulbs are very close to the water surface.

Im not saying you can have heat problems but VHO's run hotter then t5

In the future I plan on a bigger tank and I dont want to have to buy lights again and im going to buy the fans for my hood to help keep the temp down. Am I right in thinking that the light retro in the link + the extra ballast will give me the ability to have 880 watts if needed?

Thanks Bob

For bulbs I picked 2 URI Aquasun 10,000K VHO and 2 URI Super Actinic VHO will these be good?

Thanks Bob

I also found I can get (2) 250 watt mh retros and (2) Coralvue 20000K MH 250 watts for $390.00 but the heat might be a problem.

Thanks Bob

Why is this site so against t5 lighting?

Stick with what you know? T-5's are no where near as intense as MH and it takes more T-5 and money to match it.

Sure you will find people that are successful with all types of lighting, heck GARF still says they grow Acropora species under NO Flours... T5 is somewhat still new and IMO just isn't as good..

I work for a LFS on the weekends and just from personal experience in seeing MH and PC over tanks and T-5's matching wattage, the MH and PC's are better looking and way more intense...

I personally can't back T5 due to that....

Ok Im asking what about the Par measurements? T5 do a better job it seems. Par measurements dont lie.

I desided to go with the Current USA Orbit 48" 4 x 96 Watt Power Compact Strip Light W/4 Lunar Lights which is a total of 384 watts on my 55 gallon which is almost 7 watts a gallon . I think that will be enough light for what I want to keep. For corals and polyps i am looking at:

Bubble Coral
Candy Cane Coral
Daisy/Flowerpot Coral
Plate/Disk Coral
Pipe Organ Coral
Zoanthus Button Polyp
Hairy Mushrooms
Fiji Polyps
Feather Duster
Yellow Toadstool Leather Coral

For fish I am thinking:

1 Royal Gramma
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Flame Angel
1 Coral Beauty Angel

I realize the angles are risky but they are very pretty and would look awsome. Would this combo work or would it be over stocked?

Thanks Bob

I would say go get 'em except for the Flame Angel and Coral Beauty. They are both notorious nippers... Sometimes you get one that won't and sometimes you get one that will.. They are a buy with caution fish.... Other than that, I believe you have a good plan... Since that is exactly what I have... :D

Back
Top Bottom