55 gallon reef rethinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hardparts2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks for the input people it helped alot. I have done some thinking and Im going with the sand bed and I have made some other changes.Here is what im thinking now.

QTY ITEM

1 NutraFin Test Master Lab Kit (Tests for ammonia, calcium, nitrate, phosphate, nitrite, ph, iron, carbonate hardness, and general hardness)

1 Current USA Orbit 48" 4 x 96 Watt Power Compact Strip Light W/4 Lunar (Lights 384 watts)

3 30 lb bags of Carib Sea Aragamax Sand

3 Aquarium Systems Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head 295 G.P.H.

1 Coralife Super Skimmer-Needle Wheel-125 Gallon

1 Tom Aquarium Digital Temperature Alert Thermometer

2 Via Aqua Titanium Heater 150 Watt

1 Instant Ocean Reef Crystals 160 Gallon Salt Mix

1 Instant Ocean Hydrometer

I plan on disstilled water and Caribbean Live Rock "uncured"40 lbs. I changed the lighting hoping to keep some higher light corals and way later an Anemone. Also changed the skimmer.Could some please tell me if I am planning correctly.Any input would be great I plan on ordering at the end of the week

Thanks Alot Bob

Do you plan on any type of mechanical filtration? LS, LR and aggressive skimming will be great filtration for you. However, if you are going that route you will need to up the LR by about 50-60lbs.

btw the via aqua only for use in FW.
just to let you know

Not according to the sales literature:

Via Aqua Titanium Heater
Via Aqua Titanium Heater

A heater that is built to last. This tintanium heater is for the aquarist who is tired of having their heaters break to do accidental drops or over heating. Made of durable titanium, this heater will stand up to the needs of both fresh and saltwater aquariums. A wall mounted controller (included) allows you to adjust the temperature without getting your hands wet. A separate temperature sensor helps with accurate temperature control.
100 watt - 10" long
150 watt - 10" long
200 watt -11.25" long
300 watt - 11.25" long

90lbs will be like a 3" sandbed its fine. You need more live rock 50-60lbs. I would get a better heater dont skimp on this, tronic or ebo jager heaters are very good.

Also I would invest into a refractometer instead of the hydrometer.

My heater I only have 200watts tronic never had a problem. But maybe I should go with 2 150w heaters. A good heater Never go cheap on this.. Cheap heaters in time can stick if they do your in trouble. Tronic heaters when they break they just wont work no more, I hope you understand this.

Back
Top Bottom