55 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
2 Ocellaris Clowns *
1 Foxface *
3 blue/green Chromis *
1 Midas Blenny
1 flame angel or Bicolor angel
1 mandarin (maybe)

The * shows that I already have them.

What do you guys think about my stocklist? If it appears to be overstocked for a 55 I could get rid of the 3 chromis. Not sure if that would make a huge difference though. I would REALLY want a mandarin but I don't have a huge population of pods nor live rock. If I were to buy one I would want to train it to eat frozen if thats possible. What do you guys think? Should I skip the mandarin or take the risk? Any other concerns? I would love any feedback.

I like the stock, but i wouldnt go for the mandarin. They are just a pain in the butt IMO, and you will need to buy pods which get pretty pricey. You dont have a refugium or sump so i dont think the mandarin would do too well...... How bout a goby of some sort?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I like the stock, but i wouldnt go for the mandarin. They are just a pain in the butt IMO, and you will need to buy pods which get pretty pricey. You dont have a refugium or sump so i dont think the mandarin would do too well...... How bout a goby of some sort?

Hah yeah they r a pain in the butt. If I do skip a mandarin I prob will go for a goby of some sort. I just love they're green color. Can't find any saltwater fish that's green. Lol

Haha ya they are sweet, but i dont have the patience for one. So you want that fish because it is green? There are alot of corals that are green so if you upgrade your lights you could definitly have that color in your tank.... I have tons of green in mine. Lol

Hahaha yeahh. I want green coral too. I just love the cool green designs on the mandarin. And I love bottom dwellers and middle swimmers. My clowns and chromis are always on the surface.

I read that a foxface was for 70 gallons or more. (According to Liveaquaria.com) I'm almost done cycling my tank and like the look of the foxface. Just curious

Overall, a 55 is still a tank for nano fish imo. A large fish like a foxface just can't thrive in one. It will also cause you issues down the road. Big fish, big poop!

Also, mandarin is something to think about months down the road. My 55 has been up for some time and I have a mandarin in there. I literally pump the tank full of pods. I like a challenge and throw money at my problems...so I have a mandarin.

One of my favorite fish in my 55 is an indigo dottyback. It's a hybrid fish from an orchid and striped dottyback. Really cool fish. Check it out. Removing the foxface will also open the tank up some more for a couple other smaller fish that will make the tank more lively.

It's true that a Foxface may be a little too big for a 55, but why isn't it for a 70? I believe as long as the rockscape is good and there is plenty of space for swimming it is okay. You could have a 75 with rocks against the wall and that would give you the same amount of space as a 55. As of now he is only an inch and when he does get too big for my tank I probably will trade him in.

I normally suggest the gold headed sleeper goby... But since you want a green fish I thought of the green banded sleeper goby. Then during my google search I found this! WOW! A Warpaint Clown Goby.

Attachments

• image-2975261619.jpg
    image-2975261619.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 90
Bearchumjs said:
I normally suggest the gold headed sleeper goby... But since you want a green fish I thought of the green banded sleeper goby. Then during my google search I found this! WOW! A Warpaint Clown Goby.

That's looks awesome bear! If i see this guy at the lfs I'll deft consider it!

I have a green clown goby, and it is very shy, you hardly ever see it, it lays on a brain coral in the back of the tank and never comes out, it may swim 6" away to grab passing food and that's it.

Like in the picture posted, they will pick a coral , and lay there all the time.

image-374648206.jpg

Back
Top Bottom