Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #11
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Originally Posted by Justin1989 View Post
I wouldn't mind setting up a sump/refugium, I just need to know what exactly it is/ what I need and what the purpose of it is.
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part II by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part III by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com

melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Those Links above are awesome.. I read them many times when I was researching

Originally Posted by Justin1989 View Post
Don't know how much is good though; I wouldn't want it to over crowded with LR.
Also.. you dont need all the Rock to be Live... You can buy like 30lbs of LR and another 30lb of what is called BaseRock. It's just dried out LR and it's MUCH cheaper... Over time, the BaseRock will become live as well.

When setting up a new tank, you can use all the baseRock for the lower portion of your Aquascaping (the base). Then build up with the LiveRock.

Personally, I like ALOT of rock.. I plan to buy more.. it's all personal preference. But if your using it for your main source of biological filtration, you'll need enough to handle the bio-load of the tank.

goisles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks for the help everyone; appreciate it. I am still looking into a sump; so I might still end up doing it. I will go to the local hardware store and see what they have for diamond drill bits; glass and so forth. Hate cutting glass; however if it needs done it shall I will definitely look more into the live rock; but do not plan on it being my primary biological filtration just yet. If I don't go with the sump I will end up buying a canister filter; using it and a hang over the side filter which comes with the kit. Also the stand I plan on buying should have plenty of room. Once I get a sump (if I don't to begin with) the canister filters can simply be used for another tank.
Justin1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
parents are iffy on the idea of having this 55 gallon tank. My mom is kinda a nut about her house; and she is worried its going to smell. I tried to explain to her, but I'm not getting through to her. I am still a big newbie on all of this; would anyone care to explain how this tank is not going to smell? I mean I know it might have some smell, however not a great extent.

I have also caught myself wanting to go with a sump; but honestly not knowing where to begin. I will have to run to the lfs to look for overflows. If they don't have a decent one, I might end up purchasing this:
Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

As far as the sump goes, I'm not to keen on cutting glass for this. As I can see it will take a decent amount of glass. Is there any other possibility instead of glass? I'm not sure if anything else will seal correctly; I have not done much glass work like this. Also I am wondering about the amount of water which will be pumped through? I know that it will only be the amount of water which can be pulled into the sump through the overflow. So for instance if I used that overflow mentioned above, the maximum amount is 800gph. So any pump will work as long as its below 800gph correct? Going through I thought to myself also; would there be a downside to having the protein skimmer before the live rock and sand?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sump.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	17897  
Justin1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Justin, I have a 55 gallon tank as well. The only time it MAY possibly smell is when you first start up the aquarium. Its usually recommended that you get a few raw grocery store shrimp to start the cycle and get the ammonia going. Even then, its barely noticable.

Also, the only time a tank would smell very bad is if its neglected and left with no maintance for a long time. As long as you keep everything in control and keep up on you water maintance everything should be fine. Aquariums have virtually no smell, and dont poop or shed on the carpet like dogs or cats

75 Gallon Saltwater Reef

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote

5 gallon, 55 gallon, setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com