55 gallon tank, so what else do i need to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aryiman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank that i want to turn in to a saltwater tank. i was just wondering what i needed to buy for the tank to get started out. could someone just list what i need to buy so that i can price it and get started? thanks a lot.

well for filtration you need to decide if you gonna run a sump and refuge or not (providing you have the space...) lots a LR and LS... invest in a good protein skimmer.. you can also get a HOB filter but if you have enough LR and LS and a good skimmer it wont be necessary... please ask more questionssss.... HTH!!!!

You need to first decide what you want to keep. Fish (what kinds), corals (what kinds)...

You should spend a lot of time reading...both here and places like wetwebmedia.com.

If you take a month or so to read you will save TONS of time, money and heartbreak.

Protein skimmer
Powerheads 55gal X 10 = 550 gph minimum. (2 to 3 Maxijet 1200's will work)
Sand (use the calculator on the site to determine how much you need)
Salt
Refractometer
Lighting (varies depending on setup)
Filtration (canister, sump, refugium, etc.)
1.5 to 2lbs of LR for biological filtration
One cocktail shrimp from the grocery store for cycle process if not using LR
Bob Fenner's "Conscientious Aquarist"
Lastly, ask lots of questions

HTH

Mike

First off, this forum is Awesome!! I learned more from here than in any other book or site!

Well, since I have the same tank size and just started off in SW too, I'd figure I'd ask here. I have a 55 Gal tank too, with LR and couple yellowtail damsels, I plan to have easy to care for coral, inverts and couple more bigger fish later on.
I have 260 watts of lighting(100$), an eheim 2213 canister filter(80$), 60lb live rock(140$), and 2in sand. Hope this gives you an idea of the price range.

now my question is do I need a protein skimmer? Can I get by without one? Also, do I need anything else?

now my question is do I need a protein skimmer? Can I get by without one?
Some people on here don't use them, while others do. I prefer to use one as it helps keep my tank clean and clear.

It looks like you are on your way. 8)

Mike

Awesome!! What happens if you don't have a protein skimmer? Cause those things are pricey!! I heard its only used to reduce nitrates. Wouldn't water changes be enough to reduce the nitrates? Thanks again!

well i want to put a clown fish in the tank along with an eel. i want to put some live rock in the tank as well. i would like to know what other fish i could put in the tank. also could someone tell me the functions of the protein skimmer, the filters, what decides lighting, etc. thanks again

I would personally save your cash and purchase a protein skimmer for you tank. Through fractionization they will remove the organic waste buildup from your water and save you many a headache in having to do water changes on a much frequent level. You can purchase one from petsolutions.com from anywhere of $79.99 and up.

No, protein skimmers do more than just reduce Nitrates. These collect the excess proteins and organic waste matters that are in the water. Have you ever seen the gunk these things pull out? If you get one, make sure it is good and it will help you run a clean tank.

Water changes are still a necessity in this hobby..regardless. :roll:

Mike

Canister is enclosed, which makes maintenance challenging sometimes as it needs to be cleaned periodically. These are great on smaller tanks imo.

Sump is basically a smaller footprint tank that resides below the main tank. You can house reef rubble, skimmers, heaters, and pumps in it as well. You will need an external overflow if your tank is not drilled.

I haven't had the pleasure of setting up a refugium. I was going to add one in my sump, but I ran out of room. Someone else can assist with that part here.

Mike

Ok, I'll take everyones advice on getting one!! Now any suggestions which one? The seaclone 100 from that site is 75$ is that decent? Or should I invest in something better? phew, I thought protein skimmers were in the range of $200+

Honestly, the Seaclone is fair. Some have had good luck with them while others hated them. It's a hit or miss here.

If you're serious about a good protein skimmer, I would look at the ASM series, reef devil deluxe (I own), or some people on here have used the Coralife skimmers with good luck. Just remember: sometimes the manufacturer says it is rated for a certain tank volume. For instance, the Seaclone is rated for a 90gal, which would work on a 55 gal ok, but I wouldn't use it on the 90 gal. You get the picture. Also keep in mind that the skimmer you purchase will determine whether you will need a sump or not. Some are inline, sump, and hang on. HTH

Mike

do some research on skimmers there are lots of posts on the site about them
I have not heard anything good about the seaclown..

Back
Top Bottom