Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-13-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
55g reef tank lighting upgrade

HI guys would like to hear your opinions on upgrading my lighting on my tank. I have a 55g reef tank with some cheap lighting i bought on ebay they are 216w pc lights and would like to upgrade.
Should i go with t-5 or metal halides?
I like this 2 fixtures and dont know witch one would benefit me better. Both from marinedepot.com
the first one is the (AquaticLife HQI Metal Halide Fixtures with T5 HO and Lunar LEDs)48inch. it is 4 x 48 Inch 54W T5HO
Actinic / Blue
2 x R7S 150W HID
4 x 1W Lunar LED's
the 2nd one is (48 Inch 4x54 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture w/ 4 Lunar LEDs Information) (2) 48" T5 HO 54W 420/460 Lamps
(2) 48" T5 HO 54W 700+ Lamps
(4) 1W Lunar LED`s
I personally like the metal halides but think 516w of light might be to much for
my lps corals.

ok so tank has been running for 9 month i have mostly lps corals and 2 sps acros and would like to keep more sps. tank size is 48"long and 22"tall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48-Inch-4x54-Watt-AquaticLife-T5-HO-Light-Fixture-W-4-Lunar-LEDs-98.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	94459   Click image for larger version

Name:	536065.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	94460  

civic702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Go DIY led, you won't regret it, I just put together a 90w fixture for my 47g column tank to replace my 250w metal halide + 4 T5HO's. I'm very happy. It's not quite as bright, but there's less light spilling into the room, less heat, sleeker look, no bulbs to change, dimmable, cheaper initial and operating cost, and can add on easily down the road for more wattage or different color.
Saratj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

55 gallon, light, lighting, lighting upgrade, reef, reef tank, tan, tank, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com