55g reef tank stock list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abiroad

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 g reef tank, I'm just looking for some suggestions on stocking. New to this and want to keep on the right track

55 g, 70 lb live sand, 65 lb live rock.

CUC :
12:snails/hermies
1turbo
1electric blue herm
1 sand sifting star

Coral:
Hammer coral
Zoos
Xenia
Star polyp
Shrooms

Feesh:
1black 1orange oc clown pair
6 line wrasse
Scopus tang
Mandarin

Suggestions? Concerns?

Thanks!

A dwarf angel, a Midas goby, or a tail spot blenny would work. Live aquaria is helpful also

Would another bottom guy like Benny/goby compete with the mandarin?

Cool I will look into those.

I'm thinking really only 1/2 small fish before I'm at max capacity, correct?

Okay cool!

I had a fire fish right when I started with a 20g and the clowns bullied him into a cave and I never saw him again until he was hermit chow :(

Okay cool!

I had a fire fish right when I started with a 20g and the clowns bullied him into a cave and I never saw him again until he was hermit chow :(

Aww, that's sad, I'm planning a pair of clown and a fire fish in my 25 and I hope that doesn't happen

The clowns are my OGs . And they did the same thing to an angel ( which I know NOW didn't belong in the 20... Blame the LFS)
It would get bullied into the back, not be allowed to eat, and be hermit chow one morning.

They pretty much forced me to upgrade and now that I have they have their area and everyone gets along.

Maybe just add the clowns last? And rearranging the LR always confused them into not being jerks for a day.

The clowns are my OGs . And they did the same thing to an angel ( which I know NOW didn't belong in the 20... Blame the LFS)
It would get bullied into the back, not be allowed to eat, and be hermit chow one morning.

They pretty much forced me to upgrade and now that I have they have their area and everyone gets along.

Maybe just add the clowns last? And rearranging the LR always confused them into not being jerks for a day.

I have 1 now and its scared of everything in the tank, including the mushroom coral. U was going to add a second one next time at the fish store

Maybe add the fire fish at the same time?

I fee like my clowns got a lot more aggressive once they were paired

Here are some thoughts on your stock list. First off, pass on the tang. A scopas gets as big as a dinner plate and has no place in a 55g tank. :)

Secondly, wait on the mandarin for some time. There wont be enough pods or food in the tank if its new for quite a while. getting an ORA mandarin is also another thing I would suggest when its time to get one as they have a better chance of eating prepared foods.

And finally, 2 pairs of clowns in a 55g will kill each other eventually. i had two pairs in my 6 foot tank and after about 3 months of being happy together the one pair went blood crazy on the other pair and I had to remove a pair or face them dying. I happened to have a place to put them so it worked out but most people dont have multiple tanks.

Everything else looks good. There are plenty of options for fish so dont worry about not having the tang, you can get a cool fish that is appropriate for your tank withotu much effort.

good luck!

Here are some thoughts on your stock list. First off, pass on the tang. A scopas gets as big as a dinner plate and has no place in a 55g tank. :)

Secondly, wait on the mandarin for some time. There wont be enough pods or food in the tank if its new for quite a while. getting an ORA mandarin is also another thing I would suggest when its time to get one as they have a better chance of eating prepared foods.

And finally, 2 pairs of clowns in a 55g will kill each other eventually. i had two pairs in my 6 foot tank and after about 3 months of being happy together the one pair went blood crazy on the other pair and I had to remove a pair or face them dying. I happened to have a place to put them so it worked out but most people dont have multiple tanks.

Everything else looks good. There are plenty of options for fish so dont worry about not having the tang, you can get a cool fish that is appropriate for your tank withotu much effort.

good luck!

Oh dear :( that is what is currently in my tank. But thanks for the input!

The tang is tiny and we know he will have to be rehomed/or we will have to upgrade....

My mandarin has gained a significant amount of weight just in the two weeks we have had him, he was starving in a tank with no sub strait at a LFS.

And my clowns are just one pair. 1 black clown and 1 orange clown. I'd never have more than 2 they are already bullies as is.

:( :( :(

Maybe buy pods to keep up the stock on your tank.. takes a while for them to establish enough to where your mandarin wont wipe them all out

Oh dear :( that is what is currently in my tank. But thanks for the input!

The tang is tiny and we know he will have to be rehomed/or we will have to upgrade....

My mandarin has gained a significant amount of weight just in the two weeks we have had him, he was starving in a tank with no sub strait at a LFS.

And my clowns are just one pair. 1 black clown and 1 orange clown. I'd never have more than 2 they are already bullies as is.

:( :( :(

Ill take the scopas tang when he's too big :)

The sand sifting starfish is one of those that usually starves to death in people's tanks as well. Most just don't have a big enough or established enough sand bed to keep one.

The midas goby is really nice, I would do either that or 1 firefish goby. The midas goby can be aggressive towards a firefish and the firefish wouldn't stand a chance against one; and multiple firefish can be aggressive towards each other.

Also +1 on the clown stocking

Have you thought about an orchid dottyback? They are a beautiful purple color and would fit in well with your stock.

A Chromis and a cardinal fish would fit in with your stocking as well.

Back
Top Bottom