55g tank, will this work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PiShyPinoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am planning on getting a 55g and setting it up with Live Rock and Fish tank first, and then graduate to a reef and fish tank. This is the stocking list I have for fish and inverts right now:

1 antennata lionfish
1 tomato clownfish
2-3 flame hawkfish
1 arrow crab
2-3 sixline wrasse
1 filamented flasher wrasse
1 green mandarin
5 cardinals
1 copperband butterflyfish
2-3 tube anemones

If there's anything wrong with it, please notify me.

woozers that alot of fish for a 55 and the lionfish will cause problems it will eat small fish and inverts
the mandarin only eats copods
copperband i dont beileve is reef safe.
humm i would just go with the clown, warrse, crab, and maybe a cradinal or two and just leave it at that and the anemones do you have the light ???
in my opion i would only stock options:
1 just two big fish and some inverts
or 2 just get 4 to 5 smaller 1 to 3 inch fish so that way your bioload wont go crazy and crash the tank
hope that helps

Tank is too small for the lion
You need sufficient LR to supply the mandarin with pods
Same with the butterfly, too big for tank and also needs a well established tank
Anemones also need a well established tank
Same species hawks and wrasse may fight.. Im a little unsure with that..

But i'd stick to:

Tomato clowns.. get a pair!
Flame Hawk x1
Cardinals x2-3
Royal Gramma
Sixline Wrasse x1
and maybe a small goby

throw in a mix of inverts; serpent stars, hermits, snails and shrimp and ur good to go..

But thats all IMO

Could I keep the lionfish and change the other fishes? And the lionfish I plan to keep is small, according to what I have read.

if you just wanted to keep the lionfish and no others that would be fine, just be aware the lion is a major bioload on the tank do to its eating habits. if its a dwarf lion it would be fine if its another kind they get really big

I would agree with flame82. A lionfish by itself in a 55 gal. You're main concern with the lionfish will be the bioload. They are messy eaters and that may cause your params to get out of whack. I've never had one, so I can't say from experience, just what I have read from others. If you are set on getting a lionfish, then that would be the way to go. If you are looking for variety, then you could get more fish; a pair of clowns, gobies, royal gramma, cardinals, yellow tang, wrasses, hawkfish, etc. not all of course, but a nice mix. Make what you want of the tank, but choose wisely. Nobody in this forum will steer you wrong (on purpose)

That lion can grow to 8 inches. That's a pretty big fish for a 55 gallon tank.

Not to mention that it IS a venomus fish. Perhaps not the best choice for your first venture into SW, IMO.

Even without the lion, thats still a LOT of fish for a 55 gallon. IMO, for just starting out, first obviously read our articles section on Cycling Without the use of Fish. And narrow down your selection to 2 or 3 fish and just start with those. That will give you something to get started and give yourself time to learn good habbits in maintaining the aquarium. And with only 2 or 3 fish if things go bad they won't spiral downward as quickly as they could with more fish.

In terms of the anenome, the general consensus is to not even consider them for at least 6-12 months. They are VERY difficult to keep alive for a novice hobbiest and require very stable water chemistry.

The mandarins and 6 line wrasses will both compete for the same food source...pods. If you do go for a 6 line...just do one.

If I was to start out with 2-3 fishes, what should the fishes be? Also, I want the lionfish to be included.

Im not a salty. But I believe this has been stated. The. Lion. Fish. Cannot. Stay. With. Other. Fish.
Even. With. No. Other. Fish. The. Lion. Fish. May. be. A. bit. to. much. of. a . Bioload. Sorry to be rude.

Your best bet in this case is to either have a predator tank, or a non predator tank. It can work with both of these however you need at least a 100 gallon and all fish need to be bigger than the lionfish. however accidents happen, lets say a tang swims to close and gets stung game over for the tang. Also even a predator tank is not safe for all predators, just be aware that friendly fish will live together 99% of the time and have no problems. Predators is a 50/50 , these fish eat other fish to survive, and if someone gets on each others nerves it's rumble in aquarium time and nothing good will come out of this.
For whatever its worth either make this tank a lionfish tank or a community tank. Also look forward to a bigger tank with a year or so if you choose the lionfish.
Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom