55gal vs 75gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I have a 55 gallon FW tank and eventually ( years from now) want to have a saltwater tank. How much more would I get out of a 75 gallon vs my 55 gallon for saltwater? If I did saltwater I would definitely want a reef and lots of fish.

A 75 is so much better. The extra width will allow your tank to be aquascape a better. In a 55 once the rocks are in there really isn't to much open swimming room. A 75 gives you that extra depth to scape with

75 is better but I think saying you would be disappointed with a 55 is a bit biased. I have a 55 and I love it. Heck some folks are rocking 20 and 30 gallon salt tanks. One thing you will notice is that most people are going to tell you bigger is better....deeper is better. But better compared to what? Also will it be better on your wallet? Take into consideration everything. If I had a deeper tank I would need more rock and that stuff ain't cheap. More sand. More water to take out in water changes. More money for salt etc. bigger skimmers. The list goes on and on. So I say hey if you already have a 55g. Then use that. Spend your money on other things. Like a very nice skimmer, reactor, lights, and power heads. Look on this forum, you will see some extremely nice 55g tanks.

There is a great amount of livestock that you can out in a 55...also a 75. I see the biggest restrictive part of these tanks is the length for real swimming room. Think about why most tangs need a 6 ft tank, as an example. There are still tons of fish to choose from with lots of color. The orange back wrasse in my tank is a great example.
But the big thing I would change in my 55, would it being the wider 75. It gives you more room to aquascape and, in my wishing, more sandbed room for plate corals and clams.

I would never buy a 55 and I have a 20 right now lol. It will be a 40 breeder soon but 55s are just not very wide for cool aquascaping. Some ppl can pull off a 55 very nicely but I've never been a big fan of the tank. A 75 would give you a "deeper" reef and allow for swimming room. IMO it's one or the other with a 55

75 is better but I think saying you would be disappointed with a 55 is a bit biased. I have a 55 and I love it. Heck some folks are rocking 20 and 30 gallon salt tanks. One thing you will notice is that most people are going to tell you bigger is better....deeper is better. But better compared to what? Also will it be better on your wallet? Take into consideration everything. If I had a deeper tank I would need more rock and that stuff ain't cheap. More sand. More water to take out in water changes. More money for salt etc. bigger skimmers. The list goes on and on. So I say hey if you already have a 55g. Then use that. Spend your money on other things. Like a very nice skimmer, reactor, lights, and power heads. Look on this forum, you will see some extremely nice 55g tanks.

You said it very well! I wouldn't change anything in your post

Back
Top Bottom