58 gal Lighting Opinions Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crash519

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here are the choices I've made. It's between two different setups which will cost roughly the same amount (within $10):

6-T5HO 39w retrofit:
3-Workhorse 5 ballast
6-reflectors, bulbs, endcaps and standoffs

This would be relatively low heat and efficient system with the ability to mix and match various bulb temps. Using three ballast would enable me to set-up several different on/off combinations.

1-250w MH w/2-T5HO 39W actinic supplimentals:
1-250w Icecap electronic MH ballast
1-PFO Parallel 36" reflector
1-PFO Mogul socket w/cord
1-250w XM 10K MH bulb
1-2 bulb T5 retro kit w/bulbs

What's your opinions on these setups? The tank is 36x18x20. There will be a 2-3" sand bed reducing the depth to 17-18".

Thanks everyone!

What did you plan on doing with it. IMO the second setup is suprior to the first. Not just because its more wattage but because the MH bulb itself is much more intense than florecents.

I have heard T5 bulbs are fairly warm when they run.

Personally, I'd probably go with the 250W MH set up, but I am a big fan of MH. The ends are going to be less intense than the middle 24" of the tank with the MH, but you probably won't notice, you'll just have to keep your lower light corals in the last 6" of the tank on either side. The MH will give you more flexibility on what you keep and with a well designed hood, heat should not be a problem.

HAHA I beat you!

realmad.gif
realmad.gif

Back
Top Bottom