Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
6 degree temp drop overnight.

As stated in the subject my tank dropped down 6 degrees last night when temps. hit as low as -12 since I have my tank near my window it was effects also I didnt think about adjusting the heaters. But my question about my Polpys they seem to be under major stress most are closed and they are not looking to healthy. Will they revive themself I went out and bought a submeragabnle heater that raises the temp 18 degrees from room temp. So its perfect for me right now. I got it back up to 79 but I m still worried how long untill I will know if or how much die off wass caused?

Old 01-19-2005, 10:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Large and fast temp flucuations can be stressful on fish and corals. Polyps are pretty hardy so give them time, they should come around.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
This is one of the reasons 2 heaters are better than 1. With a second heater you have a backup in case one fails. Other reason is they'll keep up to sudden/extreme temp changes better.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had 2 150 watt heaters in my sump. But I guess they didn't adjust to the heat difference from the lights being off...also the draft from the window did not help. They are old so cold air seeps through slowly
Old 01-19-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just another FYI

keeping the heater at a higher temp will keep it more constant.... the thing it the light doesn't care how hot the water gets.... but once they're off the only thing controlling it is the heater.... hence a higher setting will keep it constant whether or not the lights are on or off..... and a higher temp is better than a fluctuation.... that's the route I went with my tank.... it sits at 82 ... no probs here....

hope I was clear about that... kinda hard to explain......but simple in principle
Old 01-19-2005, 11:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks c0mf0rd it did but I already jumped the gun and bought a new one because I was so upset over the drastic decline and the possible complications. Right now my tank is stable at 78.8 so I will see what it is tommrow morning if its 72.8 then we have problems
Old 01-20-2005, 12:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
Keep us posted
Old 01-22-2005, 02:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well everything is almost back to normal after the drop some of the polyps may have died off but that is the only downfall I have noticed if they dont come out in another week or start turning brown then I will need to frag them.

Tags
drop

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com