Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2005, 10:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

6 line wrasse & longnose hawk

I currently have a clown and a six line wrasse. Last night I added a long nose hawk. The wrasse immediately started harrassing it, this morning the harrassing continues, if the hawks still alive this evening when I get home from work should I take him back? Will they eventually "work things out" and live in peace? The wrasse never harrassed the clown. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
steve-s

The problem is their similarities, mostly in the food competition department. I doubt the sixline will settle down completely and there will be continual friction between these two species. Had the sixline been added after the hawk, it might easily have gone a different way.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-14-2005, 12:06 PM   #3

so return the Hawk? Will the wrasse harass the next fish? Maybe I should consider taking the wrasse back?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Those guys eat the same thing (pods), so yeah...you will probably have to take the longnose back.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #5

what if I move the wrasse into the QT for a few days then reintroduce him to the main? Am I going to have future problems introducing new fish with this wrasse? I'm hoping to add a coral beauty, copperband butterfly and a yellow tang eventually.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber
what if I move the wrasse into the QT for a few days then reintroduce him to the main?
This can sometimes have a possitive effect but given the two species, it's a 50/50 thing.

Quote:
Am I going to have future problems introducing new fish with this wrasse? I'm hoping to add a coral beauty, copperband butterfly and a yellow tang eventually.
These fish will actually be of no concern as they are not food resource competitors or of similar physiology. I would however suggest only one of the two larger fish along with the angel. A 75 gal would be comfortable for one active larger fish but not so good an idea with two.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-16-2005, 04:56 PM   #7

If I were to take one back, it'd be the wrasse. The hawk fish is a much more peaceful fish. Just my O2

KG
Old 10-17-2005, 10:06 AM   #8

The fish are getting along great they swim around together and no signs of aggression, even at feeding time!! :P I'm so relieved I love both of those fish and would of hated to have to return one. Thanks for all the advise.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:16 AM   #9
steve-s

Good stuff... hope it stays that way.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
line, long, wrasse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com