6 line wrasse and nemotodes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byrdman81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I'm having trouble with nemotode worms in my tanks I was told that this fish can correct my problem by eating the worms and I was told this was the best solution. Do you agree?

I really don't know much about this fish and am just going on what I was told. They are really neat looking and I think one would go great with my damsels.

Please let me know.

What leads you to believe the fish may have nematodes (not typically harmful) or trematodes (usually harmful) for that matter?

Most (but not always) are primarily an internal problem to fish and often microscopic. Symptoms include lethargy, loss of color, heavy breathing and wasting (loss of weight or no weight gain).

If this is for your 3 gal tank, I would definately not add a wrasse of any kind. It is much too small.

Cheers
Steve

I read up on the small white worms and was told by my lps they are indeed nemotodes.

It is for my 3 gal but again the lps told me it would be perfect since all i curentlly have is a blue damsel. They said to follow the inch per gal rule.

I don't want to overcrowd my tank but i need to get the fish for cleaning up these things. So two inches of fish isn't too much right?

If you used the inches per gallon rule then you would already be over the limit with the damsel. I really don't think you can add another fish to that tank. The wrasse alone would need a much larger aquarium with lots of rockwork.

byrdman81 said:
I read up on the small white worms and was told by my lps they are indeed nemotodes.
Nematodes are evrywhere and in everything. Most are not harmful and do not need to be removed unless causing a problem. If you are seeing these worms on the fish, they are most likely trematodes or flukes and should be treated in a seperate QT.

i need to get the fish for cleaning up these things.
Why :?:

So two inches of fish isn't too much right?
In keeping with Atari's advice above, given what your LFS said you are overstocked. The guideline in SW aquaria is one inch of fish per 5 gal of water volume. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

These worms are not on the fish but the glass and live rock.
I understand the too many fish problem.
The lfs I purchased this tank and fish from sold it to me with a percula clown and the blue damsel.

I am just not sure what these worms are and how to get rid of them. I asked another lfs other than the one I purchased, they are the ones who instructed me on what they were and what to buy.

I no longer have the percula btw. I just don't want these things all over my glass.

I'm going to buy a new tank tomorrow from petsmart I was thinking like a 30 gal.

So if the fish wont work what will?

Also i'm having major problems with my betta in my fresh water please see my other posts and feel free to advise. Thanks

byrdman81 said:
I am just not sure what these worms are and how to get rid of them. I asked another lfs other than the one I purchased, they are the ones who instructed me on what they were and what to buy.
An LFS can be a resource for some things but information is rarely one of them. Don't get me wrong, not all are bad but you should take what they say and research before making a descision. The first thing they will usually see when questions are asked is a way to make a buck.

As I said, if the worms are not attacking the fish, they are of no concern other than possibley being unsightly to you. Could be the excess level of nutrient has just allowed them to progress to a stage where they've become more noticable. I can assure you they are in everyones tank to some degree.

I no longer have the percula btw. I just don't want these things all over my glass.
Just a thought, but these "worms" actually move about the tank and are not stationary, right?

I'm going to buy a new tank tomorrow from petsmart I was thinking like a 30 gal.
If you wish to have more fish than just the damsel, I would definately suggest a larger tank. If affordable, I'd suggest 45 gal +.

So if the fish wont work what will?
None, you don't need one nor will a 3 gal tank hold anything fish or otherwise that will do what the LFS has lead you to believe.

Also i'm having major problems with my betta in my fresh water please see my other posts and feel free to advise. Thanks
Can't help much there. About the only thing I know about FW is how to make cool-aid with it. :wink: The FW advisors and members alike are excellent and I am sure they will help you out!

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom