Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

6 month update - 20g FOWLR

It's been right around 6 months since I finished cycling my 20g FOWLR and added in a pair of ocellaris clownfish. I also have a CUC from Reef Cleaners which I love. As I chose not to opt for a protein skimmer in this tank I had to make sure I kept up with weekly water changes and daily top-ups, which other than in a couple of instances I remained solid on. I may still get a small skimmer. After ongoing little niggles with small pockets of diatoms on the sand and some hair algae on rocks, I moved to a 4-stage RO/DI unit and things have been much smoother. NH3/NH4 and NO2 have remained at 0 the whole time, and nitrates <10 (I struggle to determine the exact reading as I have the API freshwater master test kit and cards).

My original plan was to run for 6 months and see how I handled my first foray in to SW before looking at some soft corals (I'm especially eyeing up the Reefs2Go saltwater soft coral 6-pack...). I'm going to get test kits for phosphates and calcium in order to gauge how I'm doing in terms of introducing corals. As a recap, I have around 30lbs of live rock, and the Aquatic Life T5 HO Dual Lamp (48W) lights.

Anyways, photos:

All looks quite different than when I first started cycling!

I appreciate any suggestions on moving forward with progressing from the FOWLR environment to adding in some soft corals

fouldsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looks great! Just start adding corals and testing for calc, alk, and mag and youll be good. Weird how you have no coraline though.

It is just me, or do those clowns look lile perculas...?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
Fish R friends, not food!

They look like perculas to me! I think you might have to upgrade your light, depending on what corals you plan to have. A 2 bulb fixture isn't much light. Tank looks great though!
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

2 bulb is enough for soft corals including polyps. I kept sps with a 2 bulb from aquatic life.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think the lack of coraline was from excess phosphates from the tap water causing an imbalance in the water. It's also why I want to start monitoring calcium levels. The photos don't show it too well, but there are light patches building over the live rock, as well as visible patches on the filter housing, etc. It's slowly getting there.

I was hoping the lighting would be okay for soft corals like polyps, zoos, etc. It's providing 48W over a 20g long, so it doesn't need to penetrate that deep. The nice thing about the Aquatic Life unti is that it's modular in that I could add a second unit to it if needed?

I have wondered on the actual type of clownfish. The thicker banding leans more towards false perculars, right? When I got them, the bandings were not at all that well defined, but still very vivid and bold orange coloring.
fouldsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Loos really good!! Love the placement of your rocks. I want to switch mine to something like that. Nice.

Grats on Ur clowns as well

Lastly.....there's a lot of coral you could get with your current 2 bulb fixture, but I'd recommend against sps with it. Someone commented that they had sps with their 2 bulbs......just because someone can do it doesn't mean they should. Stick with the softies and Lps.

Looking really good though.

T
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think those clowns are percs. Perculas have a triangle shaped strip in the middle.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyboy
Loos really good!! Love the placement of your rocks. I want to switch mine to something like that. Nice.

Grats on Ur clowns as well

Lastly.....there's a lot of coral you could get with your current 2 bulb fixture, but I'd recommend against sps with it. Someone commented that they had sps with their 2 bulbs......just because someone can do it doesn't mean they should. Stick with the softies and Lps.

Looking really good though.

T
Why shouldn't someone if its enough light?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim
I think those clowns are percs. Perculas have a triangle shaped strip in the middle.
Your right! That and black eyes and thicker. Black stripes
Old 02-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilostnemo

Why shouldn't someone if its enough light?
Well I know 2 guys...one in particular that keeps sps with the most minimum light possible. Grant it, he has it really high in the tank but the requirements are BARELY being met. It doesn't grow or thrive.....it just survives and I don't think that's right.

I've told him several times, "would you like to barely survive on a daily basis?"

I'm not a big fan of going with the minimum requirements on anything. Too many people in this hobby do that....

My opinion is If you want to keep sps.....get the light to do it.

Tags
20 gallon, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com