Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

60 gal cube filtration -no sump or canister?

I bought a cheap 60gal (230litre) - close to being a cube shape as I could picture an amazing reef with the height of the glass however there is no room for a sump. If I buy around 10- 20kgs of live rock and buy a hob skimmer and do regular wcs, will this be enough filtration to support a reef tank or will I need a canister too or a hob filter? I was sent a link previously about various filtration methods but am more curious about the size of the tank and if the skimmer and bio filtration using LR would be enough. I have also been looking up hob refugiums but they are in the USA and combined with postage it's a killer $$. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI68 View Post
I bought a cheap 60gal (230litre) - close to being a cube shape as I could picture an amazing reef with the height of the glass however there is no room for a sump. If I buy around 10- 20kgs of live rock and buy a hob skimmer and do regular wcs, will this be enough filtration to support a reef tank or will I need a canister too or a hob filter? I was sent a link previously about various filtration methods but am more curious about the size of the tank and if the skimmer and bio filtration using LR would be enough. I have also been looking up hob refugiums but they are in the USA and combined with postage it's a killer $$. Thanks

I think you could be ok. However, if you can fit a small sump underneath, that would be best. Maybe just a sump big enough for a skimmer and return pump? But, if you keep fishload down, you could most likely get away without one.

3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks. I have been debating whether to have cichlids again or look for another tank with sump if it's going to be too much hassle. Definitely won't fit a sump with this one. The cupboard has only one small compartment and the other side is made up of drawers.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

No need for further responses. Just negotiated on an AquaReef 195 and picking it up today- yay. Will re sell the 230litre now.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI68 View Post
No need for further responses. Just negotiated on an AquaReef 195 and picking it up today- yay. Will re sell the 230litre now.

Sweet! will you make a build thread? I'll follow
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister, cube, filtration, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com