Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

So i decided to get my first fish last night and checked with the LFS before buying a mandarin with 55lbs of LR and pods everywhere they said it should be fine.. woke up this morning and checked on the little one and was scared to death. apperantly they sleep in a mucous cocoon from what im gathering.. Can anyone confirm this? should he be ok by the time i get home and back to pecking away like she was last night..

Old 11-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have yet to see it but that's what I've heard also. Mine seems to just lie down in the sand to sleep.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Now I take it the Tank is brand new correct ? I am afraid that the mandarin will die from starvation unless it eats prepared foods. They need a huge tank with lots of lr and pods along with an attached fuge to produce the necessary amount of pods. Thought I would throw my 2cents worth in. Good luck with the build. Hope everything works out
Old 11-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks carey, I'll update later plan on going home for lunch to check up on her and I have a couple hundred pods on the glass so I'd assume that's a good start.. Who knows what's in the lr that I can't see..
Old 11-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Actually, new tanks go through "pod explosions" from time to time. They generally gather up on the glass in the hundreds or thousands even and shortly after go away. My tanks go through it all the time. I would start working on getting the fish to eat prepared foods as soon as you can. I really can't see a mandarin doing well in such a new tank even if it has live rock. :-(

I have an ORA mandarin which is supposed to eat pellets but didn't. She didn't eat prepared frozen food at first either. Luckily my biocube was up for over 6 months so I had some pods plus I have a fuge in the back of the tank to help further. It got her by the month or so it took for her to eat frozen.

It's a beautiful fish but really a gamble if it can last or not. I hope you have lots of luck! Do you have a picture?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I will go by lfs tonight and get some prepared food and get the ball rolling with that as well and no pics bc she was behind my rocks going thru the sand..Suppose I could always take her back if she isnt responding well in the next 24 hrs, better than having her die
Old 11-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yeah, I really hate for it to come to that but it might be the best solution. To be honest, that would be the absolute last fish i would have recommended as a first fish. I'm sure you're pretty excited about getting her, maybe in a few days she will start to eat prepared foods. It can take them months to starve so getting her on the right track might work. Some people have luck with them eating regular food right away maybe you'll get lucky too.

Fingers are crossed for you!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanea03
I will go by lfs tonight and get some prepared food and get the ball rolling with that as well and no pics bc she was behind my rocks going thru the sand..Suppose I could always take her back if she isnt responding well in the next 24 hrs, better than having her die
He's got "tiger pods". And I'm sure he told you about nutrimar ova.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tiger pods will help get u by until you can order some online. Buy double an you have plenty for it to eat and the rest to reproduce and seed. But that's only if you think it's not eating.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well went home for lunch to check on her and figured out its a him..lol.. And he was happily checking himself out and picking away at the back glass!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2419258495.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	59187   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-380732530.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	59188  

Tags
60 gallon, build, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com