60 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_marie

Aquarium Advice Freak
It was my interest in puffers that led me to set up my saltwater tank. It has been up and running now for about 5 months. I have not added the puffer to my tank yet as it will be my last addition because I've been stocking based on aggression and wanted other tankmates in before the puffer. While I have been researching for quite some time now I am obviously still learning and wanted opinions on my stock. Here is the information for my setup.

Tank Specs:
60 gallon

75lbs rock (50live and 25 dry initially)

Fish: (order they were added)
Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus)
Ocellaris Clown Pair (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Melanarus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)

CUC:
Various Snails
Hermits
Peppermint Shrimp(2)

Corals:
Ricordia
Purple Mushroom
Zoa Colony
Snowflake Polyp Colony
Sinularia Leather
Sun Coral

Equipment:

Reef Octopus BH-2000 (rated for 125g by manufacturer and 100g by BRS)
Maxi-Jet 900
Maxi-Jet 1200

All fish were added with plenty of time in between and I have not had an ammonia/nitrite spike since cycling. Also, cycling was done with the live rock, was documented, and I did watch the levels rise then fall appropriately.

There hasn't been any issues between any of the fish. The wrasse was added just over a week ago.

The puffer I would like to add is the Papuan Toby (Canthigaster papua). If, for any reason, I am not able to get the Papuan my next two choices are; Bennett's Sharpnose puffer (Canthigaster bennetti) and Blue Spotted Puffer (Canthigaster solandri).

I wanted opinions on whether this list has me fully stocked or if I would be able to add in one more small fish. I don't have a particular one in mine at the moment, though I do love gobies (unsure of how my blenny would feel). I do not want to overstock and cause water quality issues or any other issues that could arise from overstocking. I am just still new/learning and really wasn't sure and am wanting to do this correctly. Stocking, when it comes to certain situations or isn't very obvious, is something I haven't completely grasped. Also, I'm in no hurry to add the next fish, I know patience is key and I'm just looking for information.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I have another 10lbs of live rock that is curing and will be added to the tanks once ready.

Depending on the puffer you get it won't be coral safe and some require bigger tanks. Not sure about your puffers though and I think you should be able to add more with out the puffer. Just my opinion

Depending on the puffer you get it won't be coral safe and some require bigger tanks. Not sure about your puffers though and I think you should be able to add more with out the puffer. Just my opinion

I've researched the puffer (puffers in general) and I know what to expect. I know it may or may not bother corals and my CUC. I'm not concerned. I'll set up another, smaller tank, for the corals if needed.

The puffers I want require on average a 30-50 gallon tank, so I'm good there.

Since I got into this hobby because of puffers, the puffer will be added, I wouldn't not get the puffer just to have other fish. The tank just looks kinda empty to me I guess.

I just don't know if the puffer leaves me stocked or if another small fish would be okay. Still unsure of how exactly you know that sort of thing.

Hey Amanda, I can't offer any advice on your stocking list. But I can tell you that I found a really cool forum. It's called "the puffer forum"
They have some really good information. Everything you could ever want to
Know about puffers.

Also, it doesn't seem like you are capacity. You have a great skimmer and should be able to add a couple more fish

Hey Amanda, I can't offer any advice on your stocking list. But I can tell you that I found a really cool forum. It's called "the puffer forum"
They have some really good information. Everything you could ever want to
Know about puffers.

Thanks ! I'm actually a member there. :) Thats the first forum I joined when I first realized I wanted to set up a puffer tank.

Originally Posted by Dmann
Also, it doesn't seem like you are capacity. You have a great skimmer and should be able to add a couple more fish

I don't quite feel like I am either. Thats why I even asked. I definitely wouldn't consider adding another fish, or asking about it, if I really thought I was stocked. I do know puffers have a larger bioload with their messy eating but I also believe a lot of the food pieces that may escape the puffer would be eaten by the wrasse/clowns and maybe CUC (if they're not eaten by the puffer).

I'm not sure what fish I would want to add honestly, something small and compatible of course. I love gobies but don't know if my blenny would tolerate one.

I feel pretty good about my skimmer choice as well, I researched quite a while before I purchased one. Its rated for larger than my tank.

I'll also have very close to 1.5lbs of live rock per gallon (5lbs short) once the last ten cures.

I'm just not comfortable when it comes to stocking yet and knowing what is or isn't overstocked. Unless its something obvious of course, like a fish in a tank thats too small for that fish to begin with.

I just want to do this right and feel like this is a good place to get the advice I'm looking for.

Curious if you have a sump or just the LR and skimmer?. I would maybe think after the puffer if no extra water volume (via sump) might be enough of a bio load to call it stocked.

I will be picking up a octopus xp3000 when I pick up my porcupine. Luckily a friend of mine is selling it to me and paying him a little at a time.

Curious if you have a sump or just the LR and skimmer?. I would maybe think after the puffer if no extra water volume (via sump) might be enough of a bio load to call it stocked.

No, no sump. I'm not honestly sure if I could manage one in the stand, maybe something small.

I just don't feel comfortable setting up a sump being so new to this, afraid I'd mess something up.

I'm thinking it will either be stocked with the puffer, or maybe one more small fish, and no more than that. I guess I'm thinking maybe one more too because the tank just looks so empty to me. But again I don't want to overstock. I'm just honestly not sure.

If I added another, besides the puffer, I would want it to be next and the puffer last.

I really like the clown gobies, not sure how my blenny would react, but something along those line would be what I would like to add if it wouldn't be overstocking. Open to opinions there too of course.

I will be picking up a octopus xp3000 when I pick up my porcupine. Luckily a friend of mine is selling it to me and paying him a little at a time.

Thats a nice way to get a skimmer, by payments :lol:

I'm not familiar with that one, assuming in-sump since there isn't many HOB and I pretty familiar with what they offer as HOBs, but I'm sure its not cheap.

I really am happy with my Octopus so far and will probably stick with them when it ever comes time to get another.

It's the "super reef octopus xp3000" in sump. He used it for a few months on his 220g reef tank, and then he decided he was going to take his hobby to the next level and he actually opened a dang aquarium store. Lol.. He's actually got some nice corals and livestock.

But back to the subject. Setting up a sump is easy peasy. Basically just a Rubbermaid container with live rock and a pump. Or you can find them on Craigslist fairly cheap.

It's the "super reef octopus xp3000" in sump. He used it for a few months on his 220g reef tank, and then he decided he was going to take his hobby to the next level and he actually opened a dang aquarium store. Lol.. He's actually got some nice corals and livestock.

But back to the subject. Setting up a sump is easy peasy. Basically just a Rubbermaid container with live rock and a pump. Or you can find them on Craigslist fairly cheap.

Well it sounds like you got yourself a pretty good deal, finding one barely used and from a friend at that.

Thats certainly taking it to the next level, huh? :lol: Sounds like it'll be a good place for you to shop, if its close to you.

I'm sure I've got it in my head that a sump is harder than it really is. Just working with plumbing, with all that water :eek:, scares me. Plus, my tank couldn't be drilled and it seems like that would make it simpler. I think I'll leave this tank sumpless, especially since it isn't too large of a tank. I also hope to be moving sometime kinda soon (looking into getting my own house) and the less to move the better. I think once I get settled in in my own place I'll look into getting a larger tank, preferably already setup for a sump.

For now I'll remain sumpless and see what my stocking options are as is.

I have a sharpnose puffer in a 55g with 2 x b/w perc clowns, a scooter blenny, a gold stripe cardinal and a purple firefish. I consider my tank fully stocked so would say you have room for maybe one or 2 small fish after the puffer. The fire fish was a great addition to add some colour to the tank.
I have watched the puffer chance personality in the time I've had him, nearly a year now. I can say he leaves most of my corals alone, particularly the softies but has been seen picking at zoas and star polyps. I wouldn't trust him with inverts tho, again he leaves my snails alone but if he finds a hitchhiker crab (of which I have many) I have seen him smash them to pieces!
Great fish, definitely my favourite :)

Attachments

• image-1265602491.jpg
    image-1265602491.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 58
I have a sharpnose puffer in a 55g with 2 x b/w perc clowns, a scooter blenny, a gold stripe cardinal and a purple firefish. I consider my tank fully stocked so would say you have room for maybe one or 2 small fish after the puffer. The fire fish was a great addition to add some colour to the tank.
I have watched the puffer chance personality in the time I've had him, nearly a year now. I can say he leaves most of my corals alone, particularly the softies but has been seen picking at zoas and star polyps. I wouldn't trust him with inverts tho, again he leaves my snails alone but if he finds a hitchhiker crab (of which I have many) I have seen him smash them to pieces!
Great fish, definitely my favourite :)

He's lovely! :)

I can't wait to get my puffer :D

Thanks for sharing your experience, very much appreciated. Its seems its either a hit or miss when it comes to the puffers and coral. Hoping mine decides to leave them be, if not I'll just move them out.

I haven't actually seen any hitchhikers, well except some macroalgae, but nothing like crabs. I do have some hermit crabs so those and the snails I know may become a meal. Not worried about it though.

The firefish are nice, I was looking at some at my LFS just this last week. If I had another I do like gobies and the royal gramma. I'm still not sure how my blenny would react to the goby so I may be safer with a royal gramma or simliar.

If you don't mind me asking, what equipment do you run and do you have a sump?

Also, was your puffer your last addition or did you add some of the other fish after him?

I had thought it might be best to have the puffer last as it will be the most aggressive of my stock really.

I really like gobys too, but when I asked my LFS if they would get along with my scooter they said maybe, they might also fight to the death! I didn't want to risk it, love my scooter.
I only use live rock as my filtration, I have a lot of it and it was all live when purchased. 2 x power heads and a decent skimmer. 10g PWC every week and my tank is stable...
I actually got the puffer first, with the two clowns. He was tiny! And very friendly, then after about six months he started the nipping at things, then the hiding whenever I walk into the room. Now he is back to eating from my hand but he does still flash at himself in the reflection...
Go the firefish, purple ones are a bit bigger and definitely more beautiful.

Attachments

• image-97712249.jpg
    image-97712249.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 53
I really like gobys too, but when I asked my LFS if they would get along with my scooter they said maybe, they might also fight to the death! I didn't want to risk it, love my scooter.
I only use live rock as my filtration, I have a lot of it and it was all live when purchased. 2 x power heads and a decent skimmer. 10g PWC every week and my tank is stable...
I actually got the puffer first, with the two clowns. He was tiny! And very friendly, then after about six months he started the nipping at things, then the hiding whenever I walk into the room. Now he is back to eating from my hand but he does still flash at himself in the reflection...
Go the firefish, purple ones are a bit bigger and definitely more beautiful.

Yeah, I know I'd be taking a chance to add a goby as they are similar in body shape and thats whats leads to problems with blennys/gobys.

I'd say the goby wouldn't make it if my blenny decided to harass him. My blenny is good sized, at least 4 inches, and the goby would be much smaller. I love my starry blenny though and wouldn't want to cause him any issues.

Sounds like our setups are similar. I rely on live rock (soon to be 85lbs), the octopus skimmer, and powerheads as far as filtration goes. Similar water change schedule as well.

I bet he was cute so tiny! I was just trying to do what I could in terms of minimizing the chance of any aggression, more so territorial I suppose. Though it'd be different when the puffer is young/tiny, which he would be, rather than older/larger and already established when trying to add a tankmate. The firefish are pretty, especially with the purple (that was what interested me in the royal gramma). I'll have to read up more on them. Do you have a lid? I would worry about firefish trying to jump since a lid is suggested.

If you don't mind another question, what is your feeding schedule like? What does the puffers diet consist of?

I feed every other day, a mixture of flakes, mysis, lobster eggs you name it - he eats ANTYTHING and poops ALOT!
He has never shown aggression to other fish, ever. But all my fish stick to themselves, they have their own little place in the tank and everyone seems to play by the rules.

I feed every other day, a mixture of flakes, mysis, lobster eggs you name it - he eats ANTYTHING and poops ALOT!
He has never shown aggression to other fish, ever. But all my fish stick to themselves, they have their own little place in the tank and everyone seems to play by the rules.

:lol: I knew puffers have a large bioload!

I feed every 2-3 days so our schedules there are similar as well. I'm just not feeding as many yet.

My clowns stick to one place during the day, most of the time, and have a corner they sleep in every night. Wrasse swims all over all day and then sleep in the sand at night. Blenny doesn't stay put really but stays close the rock work for the post part, picking and perching. I don't feel that any of the other fish will be in the puffers way exactly. I'd expect him and the wrasse to be the two that really swim everywhere but the wrasse is already almost 4 inches I'd say so I'm sure he could hold his own.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! It makes me feel much better, especially since our setups are so similar.

Back
Top Bottom