60g fish only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only one species of clownfish as otherwise one will likely end up killing the other. The "Dory" is a Pacific blue tang, often called a hippo tang (hippo is short for the scientific name). In any case, both the hippo and the yellow tangs require too much room for your tank.

I'd also recommend against the damsels. Although they are pretty and hardy, they are incredibly mean. As far as cycling, it's boring, but fishless cycling with ammonia or shrimp from the grocery store is much more humane and establishes a stronger biological filter.

Last edited:
Luvbugg654 said:
All that in a 60 gallon?!? Way way overstocked. Right now in my 55 with 15 gallon sump I have a coral beauty angel and 2 small tank raises clowns. I may total add a cardinal, firefish, and royal gramma and that's it. The "Dory" fish is too large for our size tank

No, all this in a 100g, if you look earlier in the post I purchase a 100g instead of the 60g. I am also coming over from the freshwater side and don't know a whole lot about salt just yet.

The person that posted that 2 different types of clowns are no good is right!! Plus the madarins are quiet hard to mantain cause some of them require live food to start!

Or as damshells you can use the blue chromis that are not as hard as the others but are peaceful fish!

Gotcha, I'm am taking this all in to explain to my wife tonight! I don't mind doing a fish less cycle if it's better on the fish! And the only reason mentioned 2 clowns is because they have all these display tanks at my lfs with multiple clowns that don't seem to fight. However, I do value all
Of your advice over theirs of course!

Yellow tang would be ok. A blue or hippo tang would not, they are recommended for 180 gallons. Also Mandarins are very difficult to keep in an established tank, definitely wouldn't try 2.

Well what I'm thinking now is I get my tank on Sunday. I am going to order the overflow box and drill it in before I add water. Then I will fill it just below the over flow. I will buy the shrimp and start cycling with the Rena xP3. Over the course of the next week I will build my sump. When completed I will fill the tank to start the overflow. That way it would have started cycling and I can invest more time into a quality sump build! Question, what is the deal with the protein skimmers? Do I need on? I have read allot about cycling now. Plus I have been doing freshwater for quite some time, just don't know about the skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom