65 gallon tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember when my tank looked like this.. Lol.. Keep these pictures and when you get your tank all stocked out, you'll be amazed at the transformation!

I would ditch the Emperor 400 ASAP. Great filter for a freshwater tank, but in a saltwater reef it will just be an unnecessary source of nitrates. Just get your protein skimmer tweeked and working properly and it should do the job. If you still have nutrient issues then you can always add a reactor pretty inexpensively. In my experience (I had an emperor when I started my first reef a few years ago) Emperors and other similar filters are just nitrate factories.

I would ditch the Emperor 400 ASAP. Great filter for a freshwater tank, but in a saltwater reef it will just be an unnecessary source of nitrates. Just get your protein skimmer tweeked and working properly and it should do the job. If you still have nutrient issues then you can always add a reactor pretty inexpensively. In my experience (I had an emperor when I started my first reef a few years ago) Emperors and other similar filters are just nitrate factories.

Disagree,keep it with proper maintenance it will be just fine. It cannot produce nitrates unless there's a source of decay. They work well for me and the extra space in the filter can be used for chemi clean, purigen or whatever you want to add.

Disagree,keep it with proper maintenance it will be just fine. It cannot produce nitrates unless there's a source of decay. They work well for me and the extra space in the filter can be used for chemi clean, purigen or whatever you want to add.

I ditched my emperor for other reasons. I was sick of the micro bubbles and noise that it created. It also created tons of salt creep that occasionally fell in on some coral and they hated it. I switched to a home made HOB fuge with some filter pad in the bubble trap for mechanical filtration and my tank seems much healthier.

Tank is still doing awesome!! Really no skim coming from the skimmer so I tweaked it a little..... Hopefully it will get to working right..... One thing I have noticed about the filter is the micro bubbles!! Man it makes a lot!!! It is only being used right now to seed the tank with an old filter from my other tank..... The single clown I moved over is doing really well, and a few polyps that were on a piece of rock in there have opened up nicely and seem to be doing good....

Tank is still doing well.....having some diatom issues , but all corals look good, except some Xenia, which looks sorta "burnt"....... Single clownfish is still doing great.....

Tank is still doing well.....having some diatom issues , but all corals look good, except some Xenia, which looks sorta "burnt"....... Single clownfish is still doing great.....

If xenia isnt looking good, there is probably a parameter a little off. When was the last time you tested your water and what were the numbers?

Back
Top Bottom