6500k light saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxmoorishmanxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Theres been a lot of talk about using 6500 k lights on salt tanks, it's been my experiance that 6500k's have no use for coral growth, if im wrong let me know. on my tank i use 10000k and o3's, they have always worked for me and i dont plan on changing them, but was curious why people use 6500k.

along with that i know 6500k is used in fresh tanks for plant growth, i was wondering if this spectrum would promote macro algea growth in a fuge and or in the main tank.

Just curious THANX

I used Coralife 6500k MH bulbs over my reef tank for probably 10 yrs before I switched to 15000k bulbs. I really didn't see any difference in coral growth. The biggest difference I noticed was the color and I needed more 03 supplimental lighting with the 65's.

I thought 6500k were good for growth but most don't like the yellow look. The Iwaski MH 6500k were popular and supposedly had real good growth.

I use a 20 watt 6500k screw in PC bulb over my fuge. Seems to work as well as the 75 watt grow bulb I used previously.

when i have to replace my PC dual daylight bulb ( 65 watts 10,000k / 6500k ) should i just go with a 65 watt 10,000k.

steve r

Back
Top Bottom