70 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was planning on having some type of wrasse, a few gobies, a jaw fish, a dwarf angel, damsels or chromis and maybe a Tang. How many gobits could I have? I really like the green mandarins. And are there any tangs that would work?

Mandarins aren't in fact gobies. They are a species of dragonet, and require unreal amounts of pods to keep alive. You could keep a few gobies if they don't resemble eachother. A fairy wrasse or flasher wrasse would work well in your tank. For the tang, I would say you could keep a kole or tomini tang.

Good call on the Mandarins, totally different family of fish! Just always called Gobies, for some reason.

I didn't know that! Sorry for my ignorance but what are talking about when you say pods?

Tipton34 said:
I didn't know that! Sorry for my ignorance but what are talking about when you say pods?

No, not at all, ALL LFS refer to them as Gobies!! Don't really know why.
Pods are the little creatures that you can see swimming around, mostly at night. Mandarins exclusively eat pods, unless trained to eat other foods. Tanks need to be large and established, with lots of live rock, to maintain enough of a population, to feed a Mandarin. Mandarins are constantly on the prowl, to eat more pods! They are a difficult fish to keep, long-term.

I guess they will have to wait! They are hard to compete with in color

I think they are one of the most gorgeous fish out there. You could always get an ORA mandarin, pricey, but already eating prepared foods!!!!!!

My lfs owner said he has been keeping Saltwater tanks for 40 years. All he feeds his is frozen blood worms. He said he's never had a problem with them

Have your LFS person feed while you watch. I tried a Mandarin years ago. Ate at the LFS, but would not eat at home. I am thinking maybe my tank having other fish made it hesitant to come out after the food, compared to being in its own little area at the LFS? Gorgeous, but difficult to keep.

I had a green mandarin setup to train prepared foods. It was in an acrylic box that hung off the tank & allowed water to flow through from the tank. This kept him isolated and allowed easy target feeding.

Within 2 days it was eating garlic soaked frozen brine and a few days after he was eating garlic soaked Reef Pearls. He grew like mad for the 1.5 weeks he was in there. Unfortunately a hardware malfunction caused his death before I could transfer him.

IMO I would only put a mandarin into my tank after training. Even if you feel you have the pods, this way you can be fairly sure you have a backup to keep it alive. You can't train them effectively in tank.

I've never had a problem with my two mandarins. Both eat prepared food and always have. My lfs didn't train them either, guess I just got lucky.

They are incredibly colorful, so I well go ahead and try them once my tank is cycled!

Back
Top Bottom