72 gal stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamatic

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, I've had my tank running for about 6 weeks and all levels are reading zero. I've got a cleanup crew working including 2 cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp. I think I'm ready for some livestock. Any thoughts about adding a midas blenny and/or 2 clowns at the same time? Maybe even a starfish or a coral? I'm ready to start adding more animals but I'm usure what direction to go in initially as far as how much to add at once... I still don't know how much a 72 gal can support in terms of total bioload...

I'd think a mated pair of clowns would be good next. Friendly ones, like ocellaris or percs - farm raised if you can. They seem more freindly to me. Try mushroom or ricordia too IMO. I also think adding a brittle star to help that cleanup crew would work also.

Gonna use a QT system for your additions? Got space for a cheap 20g setup? Highly recommended.

The midas blenny is one of my favorites. I'd had one for 4 years or so now. But I'd wait until after you see how the new clowns are doing. Got any ideas on what your final fish population would look like yet?

I find myself changing my mind quite often. Just don't add too many fish at one time, you will need to give your tank time to catch up with the new bioload. I'd go with the two clowns and a brittle star as well.

Gonna use a QT system for your additions? Got space for a cheap 20g setup? Highly recommended.

Definitely a good idea.

I have the same tank...
My stocking is:
O Clown
Mandarin
Coral Beauty
Bangaii Cardinal
Japonicus tang (Hold on tang police 125 is being setup now)
Purple Firefish
Cleaner shrimp
Fire shrimp
Long tentacle anemone
Various soft corals
IMO my tank is fully (but not overly) stocked now (with my tang as the last addition)

I had the following in my 72g (got a 155 now though)...

2 O clowns
1 midas blenny
1 purple tang (turn the sirens off - he's in a 155g now)
1 mandarin (after 100lbs of rock and almost a year maturing the tank)
1 neon blue goby
1 pistol shrimp
1 watchman goby (for the pistol)
3 blue green chromis
1 brittle star
1 serpent star
3 cleaner shrimp
2 fire shrimp
2 (pair Coral banded shrimp)
snails and hermits

Here's what I was thinking of as far as a final list:

2 clowns (not sure which yet)
1 or 2 pajama cardinals
1 Bengaii cardinal
3 blue green chromis
1 firefish
1 purple firefish
1 yellow watchman goby
1 midas blenny
1 blue mandarin
1 blue linckia starfish
1 orange linckia starfish
1 red fromia starfish

Probably can't do a 20gal quarantine - I've already got 3 other tanks in the room with the 72gal! At some point, I may be able to squeeze in a 10 gal in one of the stands but that's about it...

That seems like a lot of fish...

blue mandarin will need a well established tank (maybe about 1 year)with a lot of pods, to eat and possibly a refuge to produce more pods...

blue linckia starfish do not expose to air, these are pretty but are very intolerant of bad water conditions and sometimes hard to keep. There are plenty of folks on here that can help.

Back
Top Bottom