Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

All the new stock looks great! i really like the cardinals. Always wanted some of them just havent gotten around to it yet lol

Old 01-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice new additions!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
All the new stock looks great! i really like the cardinals. Always wanted some of them just havent gotten around to it yet lol
This will be the third species I have kept. (I have had a Bangaii and pajama before.) They are not active fish (except at feeding time), but they don't really hide either. They will eat flake and pellet after they are acclimated, but they need to start on meaty frozen foods in my experience. To my knowledge, they are only aggressive to their own species (I think they establish a pecking order) and are only dangerous to shrimp small enough to fit into their larger-than-you-might-think mouths. I haven't had any of mine go after my shrimp, however.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Found a nudibranch today

I had a zoa colony that fell, so I moved it wher I wanted it an used some epoxy putty to hold it.

(This is a pretty new acquisition by the way.)

After I had it in place, I noticed what looked at first to be a different color polyp that wasn't closed. Upon further inspection, I realized it was a nudibranch and siphoned him out.

That's my 7 year old daughter's finger. This guys isn't quite 1/4" long.

Here's another pic to get a better idea as to color. It's liek a brownish purple wiht the gill ends orange. On a zoa colony, it really just looks like another polyp.

After taking several photos, I put him back in the tank. That might have been a mistake, as my guess is it eats zoas and hides amongst them as it's eating. I figured it hasn't casued any harm so far, so I'd let the little bugger live on. When I did get him back in the tank, both of my cardinals tried to eat him, but spit him out. My ochre-striped gasped for a little while, but I think they wer both okay. I haven't seen the nudibranch since. I guess this one is poisonous based on the fishes' response. Maybe they absorb the zoatoxin and incorporate it into their own tissues.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a new FTS:

A chalice coral:

Another zoa:

I also got a red and green favia (I think). These three along with the zoa colony in my previous post I picked up for $30 total from a little shop I discovered in Manassas. Very small but very good prices and nice people. It was called Aquatic Obsession.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some new additions (3/10/12)

I picked up some new stuff from Aquatic Obsesions last weekend.

Here is the best shot I can get of my Kole tang. He's still shy and won't sit still for his close up and spends his time on the back of the LR when anyone is closer than 8 feet to the tank:

A BRIGHT green mushroom:

A zoa colony:

And another zoa colony:

I am sad to report that Barry, my Carpenter's flasher wrasse went carpent surfing last Sunday morning and I didn't find him until he was pretty dried out. I love these fish but they are such a pain in this aspect.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sorry to hear about your wrasse. I lost a blenny the same way the other day. Just stinks.....
Old 04-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a couple updates. Here's a full tnak shot from tonight under the lunar LEDs. I wish the camera did a better job of picking up the lumenescence, but this is the best I cam up with.

I also decided to illustrate some growth with two of my corals. First, here's my birdsnest I acquired as a tiny frag on December 23.

Here it is as of tonight.

Eagle eye zoas, also bought on December 23.

As of tonight. (Sorry for the glare!)

I also noticed this candy cane frag I've had since late October or early November has a disintegrating skeleton. Is this something I should be worried about? It's not grown as well as another frag I of it I got at the same time, but it is the smaller of the two. It looks as though two heads are splitting (center and left in the photo, although you might not be able to tell from the photo). It's the right stalk in the photo that looks like only two slivers are holding the heads up. You can see tentacle extension, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

I've also been struggling with what I at least originally thought were dinoflagellates, but I am now thinking might be cyano. Your thoughts are welcome.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, I lost one of my original clowns and replaced it, only to have the other original clown go missing a week later. In both cases I was out of town, so I can't give any clues as to what happened. The clean up crew must have consumed them because I never saw either body. I replaced the second original clown and then had the first replacement die the following day. No outward signs. I think my wife left some window open overnight when the day was nice but night time was cold and my heater couldn't keep up. The temp fluctuation is the only thing I can think of. Right now I'm down to only one clown and I'm considering gettign ablack occellaris a week from Monday when I'm close to a place that has them at reasonable prices.

I've also picked up a blue sided fairy wrasse and a blue porcelain crab. (Sorry, no pics yet.) The crab is a pretty interesting creature, althoguh he's very secretive. They have a pair of antennae something like a shrimp and filter feed a lot like the freshwater bamboo shrimp do with these specialized mouthparts that look like fans.

I also traded away a trio of emerald crabs I ordered when I thought mine was gone. (I found mine about 5 minute after I submitted the order.) In return I got a frag of blue tip staghorn and some chips of red cap montipora. I haven't taken any pics of those yet either as they're really not much to look at right now. I think they're still gettign settled in.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sorry to hear about your clowns, but it unfortunatley happens. I tend to have jumping clowns which has really turned me off to them :-(

But yeah, post some pictures when you can!

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com