Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

75 gallon on 4th floor

I really haven't thought about the weight of a filled 75gal aquariumm and sump tank and the relevancy of being on the 4th floor of an apt building. I have ensured eveything is sealed and leak free, but do I need to be concerned with the weight of the filled. 75gal sitting in the same position fpr a long period of time?
I have renters insurance to cover any issue that may happen but I just wondering should I be concerned?

Please provide input on this. Than you!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

is it a apartment complex most floors are concrete. but im sure it will be fine unless the the place is falling apart make shore its near a exterior wall or lower bearing wall

paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with paulweck. Most apartments are built with concrete. Unless the place is literally falling apart, it should be ok.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #4

Yes it is a luxary style apartment homes community so I hope it should be concrete structures.
Thank you for the advice/suggestions. It is appreciated
Old 08-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Weight of the water alone is 626lbs... have another ~150lbs for rock and sand.

That is too much for an upper level IMO.

Personally you need to get with your landlord to see if you can even have a tank. Some places forbid it.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Apartments built with concrete is going to be a location deal. They are definitely not built like that here in the midwest.

You have concrete levels since you live in a hurricane zone, thus building code requires it to be.

Safe bet, contact your landlord. If he ok's it, have him sign on that. Nothing better than a written statement.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah that's true, here we have plenty of hurricanes so I guess it needs to be a lot stronger than buildings in other places.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #8

Yes I do live in hurricane zone and these are new constructed places that is required to follow hurricane structure regulations. I also have rental insurance which would cover any issues. I hope all will be ok.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A good way to figure it out is to look above u and if the ceilings concrete then so is your floor. Either way I still. Think your be fine.
paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm kind of surprised that the landlord doesn't have a policy against larger aquariums. Most do. What is the "pet policy" on your lease?

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com