75 gallon on 4th floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Senjl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I really haven't thought about the weight of a filled 75gal aquariumm and sump tank and the relevancy of being on the 4th floor of an apt building. I have ensured eveything is sealed and leak free, but do I need to be concerned with the weight of the filled. 75gal sitting in the same position fpr a long period of time?
I have renters insurance to cover any issue that may happen but I just wondering should I be concerned?

Please provide input on this. Than you!

is it a apartment complex most floors are concrete. but im sure it will be fine unless the the place is falling apart make shore its near a exterior wall or lower bearing wall

I agree with paulweck. Most apartments are built with concrete. Unless the place is literally falling apart, it should be ok.

Yes it is a luxary style apartment homes community so I hope it should be concrete structures.
Thank you for the advice/suggestions. It is appreciated

Weight of the water alone is 626lbs... have another ~150lbs for rock and sand.

That is too much for an upper level IMO.

Personally you need to get with your landlord to see if you can even have a tank. Some places forbid it.

Apartments built with concrete is going to be a location deal. They are definitely not built like that here in the midwest.

You have concrete levels since you live in a hurricane zone, thus building code requires it to be.

Safe bet, contact your landlord. If he ok's it, have him sign on that. Nothing better than a written statement.

Yeah that's true, here we have plenty of hurricanes so I guess it needs to be a lot stronger than buildings in other places.

Yes I do live in hurricane zone and these are new constructed places that is required to follow hurricane structure regulations. I also have rental insurance which would cover any issues. I hope all will be ok.

A good way to figure it out is to look above u and if the ceilings concrete then so is your floor. Either way I still. Think your be fine.

I'm kind of surprised that the landlord doesn't have a policy against larger aquariums. Most do. What is the "pet policy" on your lease?

Also, make sure that your policy covers fish tanks. My brother-in-laws 125G broke and the homeowners insurance company said that they needed to know about the tank specifically on the policy. They didnt cover any of the repair costs or the replacement of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom