75 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you've been using plain chlorine remover treated tap water in the past I guarantee you will see a difference.

I have been using ro water from my LFS. I mainly bought this so I dont have to deal with that anymore. Then I started thinking maybe the fact that this is ro/di will help with the hair algae.

the reason mine needs to be disinfected is because it is for drinking water so it has a reservoir built into it. When you first set it up you disinfect the lines and the reservoir with a few drops of bleach so you dont get bacteria and other pathogens growing in your now purified water, which could be living in the reservoir from shipping/manufacturing. If that makes sense.

I am sure its not a big deal to not disinfect it if you are only using it for tank water as the pathogens that you would be worrying about are ones that only affect people and other mammals.

RO/DI shouldn't be used for drinking... If you are using it for drinking you should have a T after the RO and use that. Unless you are adding stuff to the RO/DI water it's not "safe" to drink.

Im not drinking it... I’m using it in my tank. I wasted 10 gallons and have done a 10 gallon water change. I did no disinfection of any type. I am on the right track right?

Yes. I wouldn't get bleach anywhere near the system though. I would take my chances as any bacteria is not going to survive in a salt mix anyway. And any left over bleach, even a little, is potentially lethal. Dump the first 10 gallons then you are good to go. Sorry to react, but I fear bleach.

ok, on to the next issue at hand... I am going to add a kole tang or an angel. I am looking at the bicolor angel or flame angel. BUT... I am scared the tang will get ich or the angel will be to aggressive to fish and nip corals. Any thoughts/help?

I can only remark on the angel fish as I have had them in reefs for years. The coral beauty is the only really safe reef angel fish. The flame is a close second, but some will nip corals. The black tail, lemon peel and most of the rest are bad about picking at coral. They really only spar amongst themselves.

RO/DI shouldn't be used for drinking... If you are using it for drinking you should have a T after the RO and use that. Unless you are adding stuff to the RO/DI water it's not "safe" to drink.

Sorry forgot to mention mine is just RO, and was made for drinking water but I dont really use it at all. However, drinking DI water is no less "safe" to drink than some bottled water or water from a desalination still, for someone that has a healthy diet.

Back on topic:

As far as the angels go I cant really comment, as I have never tried them with corals. As for the Tang if you are really worried about ich, you can QT him as well as any other fish that go into your system.

Greenmaster said:

I don't know what kind of Ro/DI units y'all are buying but mine is multiple-use for drinking and aquarium use.It was bought on eBay from Purewaterclub.com.
Of course you only would drink the pure water not the waste water that would contain increased amounts of all the crap that was purified out of the water.
My understanding is that more of the units are used in people's homes for drinking water than for aquariums.

Pure water that is DI wants to grab those Ions from where ever it can, often first point of contact (leaching minerals out of teeth) and there are some other possible downsides that are slightly more debated. Most RO/DI that is used for drinking water then has a re-mineralization prior to becoming drinking water.

I’m the proud new owner of a starry eyed lawnmower blenny. Awesome looking fish, my six line has picked on him a few times though.

Pure water that is DI wants to grab those Ions from where ever it can, often first point of contact (leaching minerals out of teeth) and there are some other possible downsides that are slightly more debated. Most RO/DI that is used for drinking water then has a re-mineralization prior to becoming drinking water.

Does it leech from fish? Why is it best for our fishy friends? (curious.. i use RO/DI water)

Does it leech from fish? Why is it best for our fishy friends? (curious.. i use RO/DI water)
It's best for our fishy friends because it prevents other things from entering the tank (Heavy metals, nitrates, and phosphates ext.) As for leeching from fish, the answer is no. The instant you add water to your tank the salt equalizes with the RO/DI and it's "normal" water. If you add a bunch of fresh RO/DI without mixing it with salt and you add it too fast then it is possible but even with normal fresh water that can be a problem, that's why you add all new water slowly (including fresh SW for a water change)

Back
Top Bottom