75 Gallon Reef Stocking Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shady3210

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I'm still collecting equipment for my first SW build(might start a build thread in a couple weeks) but I am trying to come up with a solid stocking plan. Being that this is my first SW i'm not sure were the line of "overstocked" is. The tank will be FOWLR to start then move it to reef.

So far on my want list are:

Dwarf Zebra Lionfish
Kole Tang(are these guys ick magnets like some of their bigger brothes?)
Clarkii or Maroon clown(I have read of success with the larger clowns and dwarf lionfish. the Clown would probably be the first fish in and a juvenile lion last after quite some time.)
Red or Longnose Hawkfish
Foxface

The only fish that is 100% is the lionfish everything else is changeable.

How stocked is that list? Anything you would replace or recommend? I also like the Marine Beta, Bannerfish, and the Midas Benny.

As far as the tang IME the yellowed eyed kole tang would be OK as would some of the other bristle tooth tangs. The GSM should be OK also. Those are the only two of the list that I have had experience with.

Lionfish is great for the fowlr setup with larger fish. You will need great filers and skimmer to keep water clean.
Reef may not work with Lionfish eating all your invertebrates.

Lionfish is great for the fowlr setup with larger fish. You will need great filers and skimmer to keep water clean.
Reef may not work with Lionfish eating all your invertebrates.

From what I understood the lion only really eats shrimp as far as inverts. Snails and crabs should be ok right?

Anyone else have any suggestions or opinions? All are appreciated!

The lion has the potential to eat anything slightly smaller then he is so that's a risk you'll be taking with it but the list looks perfectly fine but as stated no shrimp which would be the same with the betta which if your gonna run a sump to add volume (the lion is a large Bioload) then I think you could get away with your whole want list plus the betta and be stocked

The lion has the potential to eat anything slightly smaller then he is so that's a risk you'll be taking with it but the list looks perfectly fine but as stated no shrimp which would be the same with the betta which if your gonna run a sump to add volume (the lion is a large Bioload) then I think you could get away with your whole want list plus the betta and be stocked

Thanks I will be running a 20 gallon sump.

What about a Midas Blenny or Hawkfish? Want a decent bottom dweller and like the look of the blenny more but the hawkfish seems to be able to hold its own pretty well with the lion.

Back
Top Bottom