Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #1

75 gallon reef tank: no sump or skimmer. Should I use 2 smaller filters or 1 big one?

I'm starting up my tank soon but I'm not going to get a sump or skimmer for about 6 months. Should I use 2 smaller filters to put on each end or should I use one big filter? Open for anything so please give me all the info you can for I'm still learning.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you keep your stock light you would get away with just using your live rock (aim for around 75 pounds) and plenty of flow - weekly water changes 10% your tank will cycle for a couple of months anyway so take it slow and that would work...

Old 10-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #3

So I shouldn't even get a filter??
Old 10-29-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Live rock acts as your filter. Powerheads will push water over the very porous live rock causing bacteria to grow all over it. Live rock even offers deeper pockets where anaerobic bacteria can consume nitrates as well.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #5

Don't I still need a filter for the tank?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's not necessary. I don't run one on my 20g reef and many people don't use actual filters on their tanks either. Some people do run filter socks on their sumps for mechanical filtration although I don't do that either.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #7

But we are talking about a 75 gallon reef
Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you really want to run one then there is nothing wrong with it, it's just not necessary whether its a 10g reef or a 200g reef. In a sumpless tank it could help with water clarity but that's about the only benefit you would get with running it. One thing I would like to add however is that you can run purigen or a phosphate removal media in a HOB filter whereas you couldn't with a powerhead.

Running a 75g tank, especialy if you want to turn it into a reef I would highly recommend getting at minimum 2 but probably 3 powerheads whether you are running a filter or not to help create a more dynamic flow.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:10 AM   #9

What powerheAd do you suggest for this tank?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hydor koralia powerheads are without a doubt the best budget powerheads out there. If you wanted a wavemaker you could try out a jaebo wp25; they are a new powerhead that is very powerful, makes great waves, but it hasn't been released long enough to account for its durability. I bought one for my upcoming 40b tank and am very impressed with it.

I would shoot for around 2500gph of total flow in the tank

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, big, filter, filters, gallon, reef, reef tank, skimmer, small, sump, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com