75E vs standard 90....is the Xtra height worth it???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wseaton

Aquarium Advice Activist
Been debating this for upgrading one of my 55s.

Looking at the 75E vs 90 gallon, the only size difference is the 90gal is 4" taller. Both are the same width (lenght as well), which I consider more beneficial for occupants vs tank height.

Having the Xtra water volume is never a bad thing, but let's call that irrelevant for now. One thing that is a big difference is the 75E is a whole lot lighter because it usually has thinner glass, and that means much easier set-up. The 75E means that my lights can get that much closer to my corals as well.

How many votes for the 90 or the 75E? The money is burning a hole in my pocket.

My vote goes to the 90. You'll have more room for a sandbed. You can put the high light corals close to the top. Depending on what kind of lighting you have, you might have to do that anyway. You can cover up the lower regions with shrooms and other low light animals. The fish load would be the same for either tank because the available surface area is the same for both tanks. While I feel the pain of having to haul in the heavier tank, (moved a 110 not long ago) the thicker glass will be less likely to crack due to a falling rock or whatever. JMHO :mrgreen: .

If you are going to have a dsb go with the 90 but if you aren't I would go with the 75.

hth

Ooooooh-hah, thanks for reminding me about my DSB, which I forgot about (dooh!).

I just like tanks that have a lot of depth for aethestic reasons and I wish they'd be more common.

Well...a 110 is the same size as the 75 and 90, but it's 30" deep. You'd probably need a couple of 400w MH on it. You might want to schedule your hernia repair surgery before you move it in the house though :twisted: .

Just remember that the 75E has a tempered bottom so it cannot be drilled.

Back
Top Bottom