Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
The trim was in such bad shape that it served no structural purpose. The lady I bought it from had it set up in that condition with no problems. The stand I made is countersunk about 5/8" and I glued a 1/2" foam board to the bottom of the tank. The glass is 3/8" (the same thickness as my 125g tank) I haven't done any math except that I've thought about it, and don't think I'll have any problems.

EDIT: the tank also has that glass brace 3/8" glass, about 10" wide in the center, and it's solid.

thoughts?

Old 07-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I would never leave it like that.
What's to keep the sides/corners at the top from seperating from the water pressure? Your asking a bead of silicone to hold back alot of water.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
Well, with most tanks, the top frame does serve a structural purpose, as in, the frame goes around the tank and across in the center forming a brace so the tank does not expand under pressure, this tank was designed differently, the frame just went around the tank and did not form a cross brace, since the brace is glass and glued to the aquarium. The frame that was on it was 4 pieces glued together poorly for purely aesthetic reasons. Removal of the 4 pieces took next to no effort and IMO looks better without them.

Basically, from what I saw when I got the tank, the trim served no purpose except for the bottom trim that kept the tank up off the stand, in it's absence the 1/2" foam board should be sufficient.

I hope I'm not wrong
Old 07-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
Fish R friends, not food!

You should read this thread. It is very long, but might address a problem that you could run into. I think the foam is a bad idea. Just my opinion. You will have a lot of weight resting on it. His was a huge disaster. Ziggy953's 150 Build errrr....120 Build
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my stand does not have a solid top, the foam will only be supporting the edges of the aquarium. Acting in the same way the trim would.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #16
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerman View Post
Well, with most tanks, the top frame does serve a structural purpose, as in, the frame goes around the tank and across in the center forming a brace so the tank does not expand under pressure, this tank was designed differently, the frame just went art found the tank and did noorm a cross brace, since the brace is glass and glued to the aquarium. The frame that was on it was 4 pieces glued together poorly for purely aesthetic reasons. Removal of the 4 pieces took next to no effort and IMO looks better without them.

Basically, from what I saw when I got the tank, the trim served no purpose except for the bottom trim that kept the tank up off the stand, in it's absence the 1/2" foam board should be sufficient.

I hope I'm not wrong
OK then. Can't say you weren't made aware of the very possible disaster.

Good Luck.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Capt

Here are a couple pics of the stand+tank+sump+refugium. looks kinda crappy right now, but I've yet to build the doors or the canopy.

I hope my overflow kit comes in today.

the sump in the front is about 35g long, and the refugium in the back is a 39g tall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06759.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	19424   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06760.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	19425  

Old 07-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm buying my sand today, 90 lbs of sugar-sized aragonite sand, 19.99/30#bag.
Caribsea is the brand.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #19
Fish R friends, not food!

The problem with the foam is that it will compress, and not alway uniformly. If it compresses in one area because the tank is heavier in that area due to more rock or decor or such, then the tank will twist and the glass will fracture. If you are set on doing this you should at least use just thick plywood and not the foam. Just trying to warn of an impending disaster. You will have a ton of money tied up in this to have it end up on the floor. Not to mention the possible damage to your home. Once again, just my opinion and experiences of others. Maybe contact a tank manufacturer and ask their opinion?
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Spoonman, you can ccCapt both make great points, I'm going to think hard on this and talk to a couple engineers I know, I'll not proceed lightly, and I appreciate everyone's concern. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Tags
75g, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com