Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
Fish R friends, not food!

Thanks, not trying to be a butt. The link I sent, his tank broke twice. Hate to see that happen. I wont bug you anymore. Just wanted you to be aware to avoid problems in the future. Good luck with the setup.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
lol "a butt"

I read where Ziggy's tank broke once. His stand was a solid top and the 1/2" foam caused a stress fracture from one end to the other, but didn't see where it broke again, what caused the 2nd break?

Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #23
Fish R friends, not food!

The tank that he bought new broke also. I think for the same reason. Like I said, the thread is verrrrrrry long, but in the end the manufacurer had to approve the stand that he built before they would guarentee the tank. One year if he built and 20 years if you buy theirs. It all has to do with the tank being supported by the edges and not in the center or something like that. He had a ton of stuff in there and had just gotten it all growing again when it broke for the second time. It was horrible. Cant imagine going through that. Luckily it was in his basement with concrete floors.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
yeah, that sounds more like a problem with his solid top stand as opposed to the way the manufacturer makes them.

My stand is open, only supporting the tank at the edges. I'm still going to ask a couple geniuses I know.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #25
Thanx but no.....

Wow.. List their Mensa reg numbers.. We may know people in common
Old 07-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol you gotta realize, a genius from Texas = slightly above average nationally.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got my sand from Petsmart. 90lbs for 59.51 using a $5 coupon

petsmart $5 off $25 B&M expires 7/25/09
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06761.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	19429  
Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
I can't help myself, but cCapt is correct your framing and structural design may not work. Not saying that it won't work but it will for awhile until it cracks under pressure. Like cCapt stated your depending on beads of Silicone to hold back a lot of pressure.

Good Luck man hope all goes well....
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I decided that since I have a while till I'm even going to put salt water in the tank, that I'll fill it with tap water and monitor it.

As of now, it's full to the brim, no leaks. I was displeased to find that the ground in this room is not level... it's got a 1" drop over 4 feet. I guess if I raise one end of the stand by 1/2" it will even out. Any ideas on how to do that? maybe just cut a peice of 1/2" ply and stick it under the correct side?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This thread sort of confirms my beliefs about my aquarium's trim.
Aquarium Trim Question jsoong made a good post.

My 75g tank is 3/8" glass and has a 10" glass brace on top in the middle. As I mentioned, the trim that I pulled of seemed really flimsy and came off with no effort.

I'm nearly certain my tank will be fine with no trim. I have it full right now and have no bowing at all, measures 18" deep on the sides and 18" deep in the center.

Tags
75g, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com