Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
My power heads and my skimmer box kit came in. Once my buddy gets off work he's gonna stop by and we're going to drill the tank, should be fun...

Old 07-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #32
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerman View Post
As of now, it's full to the brim, no leaks. I was displeased to find that the ground in this room is not level... it's got a 1" drop over 4 feet.
You definitely need to level that out. Now you have all that extra weight of the water leaning against the side...which is only held together by silicone.

Dude...I would really hate to see this tank bust open on you. Your livin' on the edge.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
I agree, I just emptied out the tank (getting ready to drill it) and I'm going to put 1/2" plywood under the right side of the tank, should even it out perfectly.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #34
Fish R friends, not food!

I dont know how you can do it, but I would try to make something that would be wedge shaped that would take up the variance as you go from one side of the stand to the other. If you only put a block under one end of the tank to level it, the stand wil eventually sag and you will end up with the same problem. It needs to be supported along the whole length, not just blocked up on one end. Might be easier to take a piece of wood that is 4' long and cut it at an angle that is 1/2" higher on one end than the other then screw it to the front and back of the bottom of the stand, then the 1/2" block on the end. Is that clear as mud? It would look kind of like a realllllly long doorstop (or a shim).
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If it were a manufacturers stand made from particle board, I'd agree with you. What your suggesting, I feel to be a waste of my time and resources. It would take years, if ever for the stand to sag at all, much less enough to make a noticeable difference.

I just got back from the plumbing supply, got some 1" pvp fittings, maybe I'll have everything plumbed by tomorrow, I still need to cut my sump baffles and finish the sump, but I don't know the dimensions of my pump and skimmer, both of which are in transit.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #36

Cool, taking alot for granted when I cant see what I'm dealing with. Sorry for all the advice. Mean it to be helpful, not bothersome. Seen alot of poorly made stands not hold up so well.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hehee, no worries bud, seriously, throw advice out as much as you can, I like to hear all of it. Your not going to offend me, and I really hope I don't offend you, or anybody else. Typing is hard for me to express things, oftentimes what I say I think is taken the wrong way.

I got nothin but love for you guys.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I just drilled the tank and installed my skimmer box!!!! It wasn't bad at all, I even did it in doors and just dunked my bit in a bucket of water every 30 seconds or so.

and for 40 bucks including the bit!!!! This is probably the cheapest overflow box around, and from the looks of it, it's going to be trouble free, no priming!

I guess now I will install my powerheads and put the sand in the tank. Then I'll run to Lowes and buy some pvc hose, start plumbing everything up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06763.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	19449   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06765.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	19450  

Old 07-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got my sand put in the tank, I've got 30 lbs left over for the refugium.

Just ordered 90 lbs of live rock, and 25 lbs of rubble.

/heading to lowes
Old 07-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #40

I am anxious to see this when you are all done....

Tags
75g, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com