75g reef build in progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure is IMO. Add another 1 or 2 and see if you get similar results. It is possible that your rock was well cured or close to it before you added it. The same thing happened when I started the 20G and I started it over after I saw good parameters after about 2 weeks. It took another week to prove it and make me comfortable. If you get the same thing relatively quickly it will be time to do a water change and start stocking. :)

I put a shrimp in the tank attached to an algae clip not even 3 days ago, and it's gone except for a small portion of it's shell.

Water tests indicate no ammonia, maybe trace amounts of nitrite, it's hard to tell if it's above 0. and about 10 ppm nitrate.

I guess I'm going to do a PWC and start stocking.......

adding slowly of course, my stocking list as of current is hoping to be similar to...

1 blue hippo
1 yellow tang
1-2 clowns
4-6 chromis
a couple various shrimp
various snails/worms
and various other inverts in time.

I'm thinking I should add the chromis first, Even though the tank is "cycled..." I'm not just super comfortable with it.

My apologies for not mentioning this before, I thought I had. But when I first started my tank cycle I dosed a whole bottle of "Nutrafin cycle" 120ml.

Cured rock and this supplement are the only two explanations for this fast of a cycle. I'm not really convinced that any of these cycle supplements actually add any bacteria, but I guess the results mean whatever it does, it works. Maybe it adds something besides ammonia, something that the bacteria really thrive on, like vitamins or something lol.

Or, I could have been shipped completely cured rock and this supplement did nothing... oh the variables...

who knows. I think I'm gonna give the tank another couple days then see if I can find some chromis.

I'm thinking about plumbing a 10g nano with a small powerhead into my whole setup, setting it right above my sump on either a shelf build into the stand, or a platform that I'll build to go over the left side of my sump. I could put a clown in there with some frags or something.

ideas are never ending.

heh, rock was clear this morning, now that I'm back home the back glass, sand and most of the rock is covered. yay.

But seriously, at least that gives me some bearing as to where I'm at on the time line.

True enough and quite smart of you to look at it like that. I try to do the same thing and just bear it knowing it's an inevitable phase.

the places on my rock that aren't dominated by diatoms, are starting to look very purple, I'm not sure if it's coraline forming or if it's the actinic. Either way it's purple and pretty so I don't care lol.

I'd guess that you got cured rock and that is the explanation. I seriously doubt that Cycle was of any benefit to you, JMO.

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but IMO a 75g is too small for a hippo tang. Just a thought.

IMO a 75g is too small for a hippo tang. Just a thought.

What are your reasons and experiences with a hippo tang that leads you to this conclusion? I'm trying to keep my mind as open as possible.

I've seen a few in pet stores that like to wedge themselves in between live rock. I've read they like to hide a lot. Doesn't seem like they need a huge tank to feel secure and have lots of hiding places.

adding slowly of course, my stocking list as of current is hoping to be similar to...

1 blue hippo
1 yellow tang
1-2 clowns
4-6 chromis
a couple various shrimp
various snails/worms
and various other inverts in time.

I'm thinking I should add the chromis first, Even though the tank is "cycled..." I'm not just super comfortable with it.

I would go with the chromis first as well and try to add them in odd numbers (JMO). My first fish was a blue/green chromis and thats what I was told to do by my LFS - he's now doing great! :rolleyes:

Also, i hear the chromis do well in odd pairs. not even. Dont know why, and frankly dont care either, but i stick to the facts. odd pairs make better.

Back
Top Bottom