75g Reef Needs a UV Sterilizer..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok guys so ive been asking around and it seem that my tank needs a uv sterilizer, i have cyano (over feeding i know) and hair algae, also my rocks are a bit green, and i dont want that, im completely lost on the subject and have no clue what i need, my tank is a 75g rr with a 30g long sump refugium, so roughly 100g total volume, how much is too much uv? ive heard to much can actually start to kill off good bacteria and actually do more harm than good, is this true? i have a buddy with a 9w turbo twist and 18w turbo twist sterilizer im looking to buy, which would be best? and how big of a pump do i need for them? how would i plumb it in my sump?

Don't put a uv on a reef tank. Useful only if you have an algae bloom(water turns cloudy green). Cut back on feeding and increase water changes to combat algae/cyano issues. Pull out what you can during water changes.

Are you running a skimmer? What kind is it?

Don't put a uv on a reef tank. Useful only if you have an algae bloom(water turns cloudy green). Cut back on feeding and increase water changes to combat algae/cyano issues. Pull out what you can during water changes.

Are you running a skimmer? What kind is it?

im running a bubble magus curve 5 and empty it every day or day and a half, i only feed 3x a week, my cyano is just one spot so its not a problem right now, what about my glass? i have to use my mag float at least 2x a week, how do i cut that down?

Wow...I clean my glass daily. Twice a week is great!
This is because your light is hitting the glass. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Wow...I clean my glass daily. Twice a week is great!
This is because your light is hitting the glass. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Im scared to crank up my taos past 40% I hate algae!

Yeah I clean my glass daily or at least every other day. Only takes a few minutes. And I use a scraper to remove unwanted Coraline algae from the glass every 2-3 months.

Only way to reduce algae on the glass is to reduce light hitting it and keep phosphates at near zero. UV can be useful, but mostly for fish only systems. Some folks even inject ozone into them to increase efficiency. I don't recommend either. UV sterilizers are a pain to maintain properly. Flow rate is critical because the sterilizer needs dwell time on the water to efficiently kill organisms. But it isn't selective of what it kills. I threw mine out years ago.

Im scared to crank up my taos past 40% I hate algae!

Tex, you should hate algae because it doesn't grow where you want it to. :)
Algae is my best buddy. The ocean cleanses itself thru protein skimming (beach action) and algae growth. Even in a modified sump, growing easily harvested algae is the best way to export nutrients. It's sustainable and requires no chemicals.

Tex, you should hate algae because it doesn't grow where you want it to. :)
Algae is my best buddy. The ocean cleanses itself thru protein skimming (beach action) and algae growth. Even in a modified sump, growing easily harvested algae is the best way to export nutrients. It's sustainable and requires no chemicals.

Lol true, I am trying to grow a small softball sized clump of chaeto out in my sump but im very impatient, even more so with my chaeto doing some major work on my nitrates, I jus bought 2 more clumps about the same size and a bag of pods.

Impatience can get you into trouble in this hobby. ;)
Nothing good happens fast in this hobby, only bad stuff. Good stuff takes time.

Impatience can get you into trouble in this hobby. ;)
Nothing good happens fast in this hobby, only bad stuff. Good stuff takes time.

Ive learned that already, but hey 2 free clumps is not bad.. Lol how could i say no?

Back
Top Bottom