75g Reef.. Shaken, Not Stirred..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't try more than one in a 75, unless tank size has changed and I didn't catch it.

Even if I get em young? My next tank upgrade will be a 125g 6ft tank next year, I plan to upgrade every year, I think the 125g will be my permanent tank for a few years though.

I also agree with not going with two tangs in a 75g. I wanted to have some in my smaller tank but bit my tongue and held off until I got my 125g. Even then I only had three tangs and one was a tomini. Tomini is a very pretty fish but mine happens to be quite aggressive.

Ok so if you had to choose between the kole, yellow tang, and tomini, which would you choose?

Yep, the kole or the tomini will be fine in that tank. The tomini is a nice color with the golden fins but whichever appeals to you the most. :)

Why not the yellow? Many people believe that a tank with that footprint is enough for a yellow.

Why not the yellow? Many people believe that a tank with that footprint is enough for a yellow.

x2 on this, is it because they're more prone to ich? Or the aggression level? Maybe maximum size? Remember ill be upgrading again next year so it wont be in a 75 for long.

I like the tomini but I think the body is too dark, the kole is nice I just like the body to be more maroonish brown and not blackish grey, opinions?

I believe yellows are just like blues and need the 6ft or swimming room. I think it plays a huge part in their successes, as they don't deal with stress so well. The other two tangs aren't as big open water swimmers and can manage smaller tanks easier. This is why you can see their tank requirements as being 70 on LA, if I remember correctly.

I believe yellows are just like blues and need the 6ft or swimming room. I think it plays a huge part in their successes, as they don't deal with stress so well. The other two tangs aren't as big open water swimmers and can manage smaller tanks easier. This is why you can see their tank requirements as being 70 on LA, if I remember correctly.

Yeah its a 70g, I guess a kole or tomini it is.. im ok with that..

What do you guys think I should get a flame angel or a lemonpeel? Maybe a mimic lemonpeel tang? I want a big yellow fish! Lol

Tang tank suggestions are generally based on the size of the tang itself. Tangs such as the powder blue, naso, and blue hippo get well over a foot long. The yellow tang maxed out at 8" which is the same as a kole yellow eye. There are plenty of people that think yellows are perfectly fine in a 75g while others think they need at least a 125. It's all going to come down to personal belief on the subject since its heavily debated.

Has anyone seen yellow and blue at 8" in a reef tank and how long will they reach that size? I have both in a 4' footprint tank for about a year now and seem to be doing pretty good. May be it's about time to upgrade.

Has anyone seen yellow and blue at 8" in a reef tank and how long will they reach that size? I have both in a 4' footprint tank for about a year now and seem to be doing pretty good. May be it's about time to upgrade.

What do you have and what size are the fish? What size were they when you got em?

In a 75? I would skip all the tangs with the exception of a Kole tang. JMO.

Do you have experience with a kole greg? Do they stay a maroonish brown or go grayish black?

Btw acclimating them is very critical cause they easily get stressed out. I almost lost the blue cause he got ich but he survived after a quarantine with copper treatment.

Back
Top Bottom