75g Reef, Which Canister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluval 406 vs Marineland 530

• Fluval 406

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Marineland 530

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
so ive been debating with buddies and shop owners what the goods and bads are with these two filters for my 75g reef build, and i still cant make up my mind, what do you guys think?

ive had nothing but great experiences with my marineland filters and powerheads, ive never owned a fluval anything, so thats my view on this, theyre the same price, so i need some help guys!

ill be running either of these canister filters with a pair of hydor koralia evo 750 powerheads so with that being said for my 75g reef, heres some quick stats:

Fluval 406 - 27.77x WT
Marineland 530 - 29.73x WT

Fluval 406 - 4 div baskets
Marineland 530 - 4 reg baskets

Fluval 406 - 383gph
Marineland 530 - 530gph

Fluval 406 - 100gal rated
Marineland 530 - 150gal rated

Fluval 406 - $199.99/shipped
Mairineland 530 - $199.99/shipped

Last edited:
I forgot about the marineland canisters. Good call for the same price i would most definitely go with the 530 because a 75 is pushing the limits of a fluval 406's capabilities. Just keep that canister cleaned out or it will be a nitrate factory.

I forgot about the marineland canisters. Good call for the same price i would most definitely go with the 530 because a 75 is pushing the limits of a fluval 406's capabilities. Just keep that canister cleaned out or it will be a nitrate factory.

thanks tim, hey now that your here, i wanted to ask you, whats the divided baskets in the fluval do? gains? losses?

thanks tim, hey now that your here, i wanted to ask you, whats the divided baskets in the fluval do? gains? losses?

IF its the dividers im think of...... its so you can run different media in it like carbon, extra filter media, phosguard (GFO will stick together if its in a canister or not tumbled continuously) etc. without it being mixed together but You would be better off with a reactor in my opinion. plus you can still run all that in the 530 you'll just have to put it in media bags to keep it separate unless the new models use dividers.

IF its the dividers im think of...... its so you can run different media in it like carbon, extra filter media, phosguard (GFO will stick together if its in a canister or not tumbled continuously) etc. without it being mixed together but You would be better off with a reactor in my opinion. plus you can still run all that in the 530 you'll just have to put it in media bags to keep it separate unless the new models use dividers.

sweet, how do i wash the socks? freshwater? any chemicals? solutions? washer and dryer?

I wash mine in the tub with warm tap water. Just let it dry before you put it back in and you'll be fine. That's why i recommend you keep a spare set of filters and such. Pull the dirty out stick in the clean and wash the old one for next time. Also helps for when you get a unexpected tear in the filter material.

I wash mine in the tub with warm tap water. Just let it dry before you put it back in and you'll be fine. That's why i recommend you keep a spare set of filters and such. Pull the dirty out stick in the clean and wash the old one for next time. Also helps for when you get a unexpected tear in the filter material.

That's a smart idea, i think ill do that, what media do you recommend?

so ill only be using 2 baskets..?

It's hard to explain without you looking at one. lol but basically.....yes. once you look at it you'll slap your forehead because its simple but kinda difficult to explain maybe someone else has a better way of describing it lol

It's hard to explain without you looking at one. lol but basically.....yes. once you look at it you'll slap your forehead because its simple but kinda difficult to explain maybe someone else has a better way of describing it lol

ahh its that kind of system, lol i get it, so what else could i use and what does it do..?

ahh its that kind of system, lol i get it, so what else could i use and what does it do..?

phosguard reduces phosphates, carbon "polishes" the water keeping it from having that yellow tint and absorbs chemicals and what not, GFO does the same as PhosGuard by absorbing phosphates, Thats really all you can run that i can think of. There some other "miracle" medias but i personally only run carbon and phosguard.

phosguard reduces phosphates, carbon "polishes" the water keeping it from having that yellow tint and absorbs chemicals and what not, GFO does the same as PhosGuard by absorbing phosphates, Thats really all you can run that i can think of. There some other "miracle" medias but i personally only run carbon and phosguard.

then ill stick to phosguard and good ol' activated carbon, where can i get it? any brands i should stick too..?

Only 3 votes on this subject. What gives y'all?

The poll needs a choice of "none of the above".
Canisters are too much trouble on a reef tank. They are very efficient at what they do, that is collect detritus. If not cleaned often enough, at least weekly, all that collected crap turns into nutrients in the water and then you have many different issues to deal with. Skip it and apply the money towards a good skimmer.

The poll needs a choice of "none of the above".
Canisters are too much trouble on a reef tank. They are very efficient at what they do, that is collect detritus. If not cleaned often enough, at least weekly, all that collected crap turns into nutrients in the water and then you have many different issues to deal with. Skip it and apply the money towards a good skimmer.

This is gonna be paired with a coralife skimmer ill be using both on my reef tank.

I agree with blert. I would not use a canister filter at all, nor would I choose a coralife skimmer for my reef.
If you feel the need to use media, I would invest in a reactor and not a canister filter.

I agree with blert. I would not use a canister filter at all, nor would I choose a coralife skimmer for my reef.
If you feel the need to use media, I would invest in a reactor and not a canister filter.

I should have mentioned I use reactors, not canister filters.

Back
Top Bottom