Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

75g Rimless Build

Alright, so I've made my first "larger" tank purchase and went with the Deep Blue 75 gallon with the Series 1 stand. The stand isn't ideal, but I enjoy the look and it appears to have quite a bit more room than the Series 2 stand Deep Blue offers. The tank comes pre-drilled with a single 1" drain and a 3/4" return in a rather large (unfortunately) center overflow.

I'm currently in the process of gathering the equipment and my list is as follows:

30" Trigger Systems Crystal sump
BRS dual carbon and gfo reactor
60 lbs Tropic Eden reef flakes aragonite sand
Mag 9.5 return pump

Planned:
2 Ecoxotic 23" panorama pro modules
2- Vortech MP-40's
50 lbs BRS pukani dry rock
Possibly a bio-pellet reactor

So that's the basics of the system. I plan on taking my time on this one and doing it as close to "right" the first time as possible, but I know how that goes...

So my first set of questions is as follows:

Is the Mag 9.5 going to be too much flow for my system? It's rated with 950 gph max and will be hard plumbed to run my carbon/gfo reactor as well. I'm not attached to the mag drive, as it was a hand me down from a friend.

Second question, will 2 MP-40's be a bit much as well? I wasn't sure if 2 MP-10's would be enough...

I know this is just a basic plan set forth on this build, so any input on whether or not this rough draft looks good would be greatly appreciated!! This will be a slow build, so there is certainly time for adjustments.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

The 9.5 is an ok pump, you will need a ball valve on it to regulate the flow. Also a ball valve on the reactor. The mp40 might be a bit much, but you can always turn them down. I have a 90gal that has two mp40s. With them turned up it is a bit much for my mixed reef tank. If you plan on having just sps then it would be fine.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buklau
The 9.5 is an ok pump, you will need a ball valve on it to regulate the flow. Also a ball valve on the reactor. The mp40 might be a bit much, but you can always turn them down. I have a 90gal that has two mp40s. With them turned up it is a bit much for my mixed reef tank. If you plan on having just sps then it would be fine.
I appreciate the reply! Definitely going with the ball valves for flow reduction. First time plumbing a sump, so this should be fun!!

I plan on going mixed reef, so I'm planning on dialing back the MP-40s a bit. Do you think 2 MP-10s would be too little? Not worried about the price difference, just want the right fit...
Old 03-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would probably go with 2 mp10's, the tank is only so long lol.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I would probably go with 2 mp10's, the tank is only so long lol.
Sounds great!! I've heard conflicting opinions so far and you are my tie breaker Carey!!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

lol. Tie breaker.

I only voted for the mp10's cause one of my lfs's has a 150, 6 foot tank with a single mp40 and he can actually make a wave with just the one.

Several people have the vortechs so maybe someone else will chime in. I'm all for overkill with my equipment but with the price of the vortechs I don't see a need to go crazy with something you will probably have adjusted all the way down.

Good luck! I'd like to see some pictures though, lol. I am picking up my rimless 60g cube in a week or so and I love looking at rimless setups. lol
Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
lol. Tie breaker.

I only voted for the mp10's cause one of my lfs's has a 150, 6 foot tank with a single mp40 and he can actually make a wave with just the one.

Several people have the vortechs so maybe someone else will chime in. I'm all for overkill with my equipment but with the price of the vortechs I don't see a need to go crazy with something you will probably have adjusted all the way down.

Good luck! I'd like to see some pictures though, lol. I am picking up my rimless 60g cube in a week or so and I love looking at rimless setups. lol
agree with you whole heartily on the flow, just needed the reassurance! Pics to come soon. The stand is in hand, but the tank was cracked so it was refused. Hopefully have some pics in the next couple of days.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Slightly frustrating, now the second delay has reared it's ugly head, as the tank didn't arrive. Fingers crossed for next Tuesday as I'm anxious to get my hands dirty from plumbing my first sump!! That said, since the tank comes per-drilled with a single 1 inch drain, should I plumb it out to a 1 1/2" or 2" line to my sump? Never plumbed a single thing in my life, so I'm not really sure if that would help, hurt or do nothing... Thoughts?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just use the single 1" input and run it straight to my filter sock in my sump. Nice and simple.

The single input should have you at about 600-800gph going in so a return pump doing a bit more would be a good thing. I like the mag pumps, I'm using a 9.5 with my 90g and will be using another 9.5 in my 60g. Just put on a ball valve to adjust the flow back to the tank and youre set.

I thought plumbing was gonna be a nightmare but believe it or not it was easier than I thought.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I just use the single 1" input and run it straight to my filter sock in my sump. Nice and simple.

The single input should have you at about 600-800gph going in so a return pump doing a bit more would be a good thing. I like the mag pumps, I'm using a 9.5 with my 90g and will be using another 9.5 in my 60g. Just put on a ball valve to adjust the flow back to the tank and youre set.

I thought plumbing was gonna be a nightmare but believe it or not it was easier than I thought.
Sounds perfect!! I'm planning on one ball valve going to my DT and another to dial the flow back for a carbon/gfo reactor. Pics to come at some point, but a shot of just the stand seems a bit dull... I guess I can start thinking about what fish I'm going to go with in the down time. Suggestions?

Tags
75g, build, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com