75g Rimless Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Qube

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright, so I've made my first "larger" tank purchase and went with the Deep Blue 75 gallon with the Series 1 stand. The stand isn't ideal, but I enjoy the look and it appears to have quite a bit more room than the Series 2 stand Deep Blue offers. The tank comes pre-drilled with a single 1" drain and a 3/4" return in a rather large (unfortunately) center overflow.

I'm currently in the process of gathering the equipment and my list is as follows:

30" Trigger Systems Crystal sump
BRS dual carbon and gfo reactor
60 lbs Tropic Eden reef flakes aragonite sand
Mag 9.5 return pump

Planned:
2 Ecoxotic 23" panorama pro modules
2- Vortech MP-40's
50 lbs BRS pukani dry rock
Possibly a bio-pellet reactor

So that's the basics of the system. I plan on taking my time on this one and doing it as close to "right" the first time as possible, but I know how that goes... :)

So my first set of questions is as follows:

Is the Mag 9.5 going to be too much flow for my system? It's rated with 950 gph max and will be hard plumbed to run my carbon/gfo reactor as well. I'm not attached to the mag drive, as it was a hand me down from a friend.

Second question, will 2 MP-40's be a bit much as well? I wasn't sure if 2 MP-10's would be enough...

I know this is just a basic plan set forth on this build, so any input on whether or not this rough draft looks good would be greatly appreciated!! This will be a slow build, so there is certainly time for adjustments. :)

The 9.5 is an ok pump, you will need a ball valve on it to regulate the flow. Also a ball valve on the reactor. The mp40 might be a bit much, but you can always turn them down. I have a 90gal that has two mp40s. With them turned up it is a bit much for my mixed reef tank. If you plan on having just sps then it would be fine.

Buklau said:
The 9.5 is an ok pump, you will need a ball valve on it to regulate the flow. Also a ball valve on the reactor. The mp40 might be a bit much, but you can always turn them down. I have a 90gal that has two mp40s. With them turned up it is a bit much for my mixed reef tank. If you plan on having just sps then it would be fine.

I appreciate the reply! Definitely going with the ball valves for flow reduction. First time plumbing a sump, so this should be fun!!

I plan on going mixed reef, so I'm planning on dialing back the MP-40s a bit. Do you think 2 MP-10s would be too little? Not worried about the price difference, just want the right fit... :)

carey said:
I would probably go with 2 mp10's, the tank is only so long lol. :)

Sounds great!! I've heard conflicting opinions so far and you are my tie breaker Carey!! :)

lol. Tie breaker. :)

I only voted for the mp10's cause one of my lfs's has a 150, 6 foot tank with a single mp40 and he can actually make a wave with just the one. :)

Several people have the vortechs so maybe someone else will chime in. I'm all for overkill with my equipment but with the price of the vortechs I don't see a need to go crazy with something you will probably have adjusted all the way down.

Good luck! I'd like to see some pictures though, lol. I am picking up my rimless 60g cube in a week or so and I love looking at rimless setups. lol

carey said:
lol. Tie breaker. :)

I only voted for the mp10's cause one of my lfs's has a 150, 6 foot tank with a single mp40 and he can actually make a wave with just the one. :)

Several people have the vortechs so maybe someone else will chime in. I'm all for overkill with my equipment but with the price of the vortechs I don't see a need to go crazy with something you will probably have adjusted all the way down.

Good luck! I'd like to see some pictures though, lol. I am picking up my rimless 60g cube in a week or so and I love looking at rimless setups. lol

agree with you whole heartily on the flow, just needed the reassurance! :) Pics to come soon. The stand is in hand, but the tank was cracked so it was refused. Hopefully have some pics in the next couple of days.

Slightly frustrating, now the second delay has reared it's ugly head, as the tank didn't arrive. Fingers crossed for next Tuesday as I'm anxious to get my hands dirty from plumbing my first sump!! That said, since the tank comes per-drilled with a single 1 inch drain, should I plumb it out to a 1 1/2" or 2" line to my sump? Never plumbed a single thing in my life, so I'm not really sure if that would help, hurt or do nothing... Thoughts?

I just use the single 1" input and run it straight to my filter sock in my sump. Nice and simple. :)

The single input should have you at about 600-800gph going in so a return pump doing a bit more would be a good thing. :) I like the mag pumps, I'm using a 9.5 with my 90g and will be using another 9.5 in my 60g. Just put on a ball valve to adjust the flow back to the tank and youre set.

I thought plumbing was gonna be a nightmare but believe it or not it was easier than I thought.

carey said:
I just use the single 1" input and run it straight to my filter sock in my sump. Nice and simple. :)

The single input should have you at about 600-800gph going in so a return pump doing a bit more would be a good thing. :) I like the mag pumps, I'm using a 9.5 with my 90g and will be using another 9.5 in my 60g. Just put on a ball valve to adjust the flow back to the tank and youre set.

I thought plumbing was gonna be a nightmare but believe it or not it was easier than I thought.

Sounds perfect!! I'm planning on one ball valve going to my DT and another to dial the flow back for a carbon/gfo reactor. Pics to come at some point, but a shot of just the stand seems a bit dull... :) I guess I can start thinking about what fish I'm going to go with in the down time. Suggestions?

All depends on what you want. Aggressive, semi aggressive, happy clown fish type of tank etc.... And if you are going to want corals at some point. That will cut a few fish off the potential list. :)

carey said:
All depends on what you want. Aggressive, semi aggressive, happy clown fish type of tank etc.... And if you are going to want corals at some point. That will cut a few fish off the potential list. :)

Definitely going to be a mixed reef. Clownfish are a must as my gf loves the pair we have in the nano now, so I really like the black snowflake clowns! Might have to save up! Other than that, I was thinking about the following:

Blue Reef Chromis
Cardinalfish
Starry Blenny

Since I love my Tailspot Blenny, I was thinking about the Dusky Yellow Streak Blenny. That little guy looks awesome, even if he does get lost in a 75! :)

What are your thoughts on an Engineer Goby? I've seen you speak of them, but I can't remember whether or not you've mentioned if they can be jumpers.

I have an engineer in my 20g rimless now, open top with no problems. I havent heard of them being notorious jumpers either. They do get real big real fast though. lol Mine is a real mush, he sleeps curled up with the clown gobies. :) very cool fish. Mine is an open tank swimmer cause the rocks are all claimed by other fish and he's too mellow to fight. They are famous for their digging though so thats a real concern.

Your list looks great! I love my blue reef chromis, they add such life to my 125g! and their color has not faded like I thought it would. :)

carey said:
I have an engineer in my 20g rimless now, open top with no problems. I havent heard of them being notorious jumpers either. They do get real big real fast though. lol Mine is a real mush, he sleeps curled up with the clown gobies. :) very cool fish. Mine is an open tank swimmer cause the rocks are all claimed by other fish and he's too mellow to fight. They are famous for their digging though so thats a real concern.

Your list looks great! I love my blue reef chromis, they add such life to my 125g! and their color has not faded like I thought it would. :)

That's what I wanted to hear!! Thanks!! There's a toss up between either an Bartlett's Anthias and a Lemonpeel Angel as a possibility as well... So many decisions! Definitely don't want to overstock and have a water change/angry tank! :)

I think that's why i have so many tanks, there are endless fish options. LOL

The bartletts are nice too, very active fish and pretty as well. I had a lemonpeel for about 2 days. It was a friendly fish and seemed nice enough lol. I ordered it from live aquaria so I'm guessing the shipping stress had something to do with her demise, apparently angels are extra sensitive fish.

carey said:
I think that's why i have so many tanks, there are endless fish options. LOL

The bartletts are nice too, very active fish and pretty as well. I had a lemonpeel for about 2 days. It was a friendly fish and seemed nice enough lol. I ordered it from live aquaria so I'm guessing the shipping stress had something to do with her demise, apparently angels are extra sensitive fish.

I'm sorry to hear that... Never a good time when there's a loss. I'm lucky enough to live relatively close to That Fish Place, so if I see something I like on LiveAquaria, I can pop over to their site and see if they have it. I lost a Purple Firefish that was shipped shortly after introducing it, so I force myself to wait for someone local to get something if I want it. Unfortunately, it's the waiting that gets to me every time...

By the way, just ran across your thread pertains to your recent run of bad luck, absolute bummer and sorry to hear. But don't give up!! Your threads on here have definitely educated (and still educating) me along with many others!! Thanks again!!

It's like christmas everytime they ring my bell! Such a rush! LOL i am sooo boring.....fish tank gear makes my day!

Back
Top Bottom