Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

ohh i like the betta! dont know anything about it though lol.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
apparently, it's a grouper that eats small live critters and fish, but wont hurt coral. (usually)

If I get one, it will be a very small. I'm just reluctant to get one at all. If you've ever tried to get a fish out of a reef tank, you'll know why.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes... i understand lol
Old 07-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

By the time you get it out, it will be the only fish in the tank.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerman View Post
2 peppermint shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
The coral banded shrimp will eat the peppermints. I love my peppermints they are better in groups of 4 or more. If you must have a bigger shrimp try a fire cleaner or a skunk.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
my primary worry of small inhabitants, is if I decide to go ahead and get a betta grouper at some point. good info about the multiple peppermints, I hadn't thought of that but a good point.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerman View Post
I have about 125g of water in my 75g system. 35g sump 40g refugium 75g tank. If your worried about water quality, I don't think that's going to be an issue, but if your worried about them being crowded that's a possibility.
You could keep both the tangs but they like ALOT of swimming room. They would not be happy. It is not about just having the fish, it is about making them happy
Old 07-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMO, it just seems like having two yellow tangs is not a whole lot different than having one, it's very unlikely they would be aggressive to each other, and a 2" fish does not exactly obstruct the swimming area of another 2" fish. now, if 4 feet is not enough length for this species of tang, that's another story, but I don't quite understand how, if the tank is big enough for 1, it's not big enough for 2. Given we assume water and food quality.

On the contrary it's easy to see how if the tank is big enough for 1, it may not big enough for 5, as an example. Unless we were talking about a semi aggressive species, then in fact having 5 may be more beneficial than having 2 (possibly spreading the aggression out amongst the lot.)

anybody care to shed some light on this for me? Thoughts, experiences? hard evidence?
Old 07-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The swimming pattern of that shape of tang it seems(compared to say the hippo tang) is a fast paced maze type of line. That said 2 tangs introduced at the same will tolerate one or the other more than being introduced at different times. The reason being is they both establish separate territories and the opposite would be one tang not knowing the others boundaries. In a 75 gallon I myself would say 1 yellow tang and maybe a hippo tang. Once the tangs get larger I would be worried they would be cramped. If you think about it a 75 gallon number one does not have 75 gallons of swim space. Nor does it have 75 gallons of water. More or less 70 gallons of water and depending on how much live rock about 30-40 gallons of swim space. To make the tang happy get one yellow tang. The hippo tang is basically one big dummy who does not have such an intricate swim pattern. Those two would be fine.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #50
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostKnife View Post
The swimming pattern of that shape of tang it seems(compared to say the hippo tang) is a fast paced maze type of line. That said 2 tangs introduced at the same will tolerate one or the other more than being introduced at different times. The reason being is they both establish separate territories and the opposite would be one tang not knowing the others boundaries. In a 75 gallon I myself would say 1 yellow tang and maybe a hippo tang. Once the tangs get larger I would be worried they would be cramped. If you think about it a 75 gallon number one does not have 75 gallons of swim space. Nor does it have 75 gallons of water. More or less 70 gallons of water and depending on how much live rock about 30-40 gallons of swim space. To make the tang happy get one yellow tang. The hippo tang is basically one big dummy who does not have such an intricate swim pattern. Those two would be fine.
Ok, that's some really fuzzy math. How does a 75G tank end up with a total of 100 - 110G of space (70G of water + 30-40G of "swimming space")? Water displacement is pretty well set. It depends on temp and salinity, but can be estimated at 8# / G. So if you go with the suggested 1#/G of LR to a 75G tank, you lose nearly 10G of water due to weight displacement. Water volume can be increased with a sump and the associated plumbing, but "swimming space" still has me perplexed.

Tags
75g, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com