75g Yellow Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 75g with 20g sump. 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma, and 1 cleaner shrimp. Will I be able to safely keep a yellow tang in a 75g?

A yellow is kind of iffy. You probably could but a better choice for that size tank would be the bristle tooth tangs. The yellow eyed kole tang is a popular tang for the 55 - 90 gallon tank. Whichever route you go make sure the food is vegetable based. Dried seaweed for them to forage on.

I kept my 3" yellow tang in my 60 gal long for a couple of years with no problem. Now she is in my 150 gal sharing with brown powder. I can say that its the level of stress they are exposed to and not enough food supplements that cam give you a problem. See her on my link below.

I would never try to house a larger tang in a 75. It would have to be a kole or bristletooth IMO.

I agree. Tangs in too small tanks are targets for parasites. Period. Time and time again this is proven, but people want their tangs and even if it only lives a few years, they consider that a success. Anyone that disagrees is called "tang police" and they seek someone that tells them it's okay to house a fish that grows to 12" in a small tank. Mine are nearing 15-20 years old and never had a visible parasite in my reef. No UV, no copper, nothing special except good food and environment, they will take it from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom