8 Hour Fish Transport from LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's a question:

I'm going back home to Chicago over Memorial Day and love Living Seas Aquarium down there. I am thinking about stopping by on my way back up here. The question is, would anything I bought survive an 8 hour drive back up here? I figure the fish are transported in bags a lot longer via an online purchase. Anyone have a suggestion? Also, how about inverts and corals?

If you tell the store how long you are going to transprt them they can put more air and less water in the bags. Bring a syrofoam cooler. Drip acclimate when you get home. The corals can go a day or two in the bag as long as there are no drastic temperature swings. The only times I've had trouble is when thngs get too hot. You will have no problems whatsoever.

Agreed, the big thing to worry about is temp swings. When I ship corals, I do not use pure oxygen, I just bag them with room air and they are fine overnight, being shipped to where ever ;)

I just got a shipment of frags that lasted a day and a half in a styrofoam cooler.

Also when I was in college, the LFS used to supply styrofoam boxes so we could take the livestock home - about 3 hours away.

You should be fine.

I had a friend that recently moved and I told him he needs to make sure the temp. doesn't swing too much.

He wouldn't listen and said they will be fine, when he drove th 4 hours and pulled the containers of fish out 5 were dead.

Make sure you package them right.

If I implied that they just be left in the bag, no they cannot. I would store them in a styrofoam container. The ones we used were in huge bags, the bags were in styrofoam containers with styrofoam tops and the styrofoam container was in a cardboard box.

I even had a battery powered air pump I used.

Back
Top Bottom