80 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 80 gallon is about a year or do old but I just completely changed the Sand bed on the 12th of October and added about 30 pounds of base rock. The sand is Bahamian sand and Fiji pink live sand. I plan on doing a big water change this weekend due to the nitrates being so high

Okay, that makes it much clearer. You hadn't mentioned the 30 before so it threw me, Your levels are just about what you would expect given all the work you just did. Some water changes should get you back on track.

CorallineAlgae said:
Okay, that makes it much clearer. You hadn't mentioned the 30 before so it threw me, Your levels are just about what you would expect given all the work you just did. Some water changes should get you back on track.

Ok thanks.
What about on my 30g it always shows no nitrites but shows ammonia and nitrates.

Cjsanders757 said:
Ok thanks.
What about on my 30g it always shows no nitrites but shows ammonia and nitrates.

You may want to test a fresh batch of saltwater before you add it to your tank to rule out either the test, which are faulty sometimes, or your source water. I occasionally test my source water for the same reasons when my results seem odd. If it's not that then it would be hard to ID the problem. If it was something like overfeeding you should detect nitrites at some point but you don't. It's strange to me, too.

CorallineAlgae said:
You may want to test a fresh batch of saltwater before you add it to your tank to rule out either the test, which are faulty sometimes, or your source water. I occasionally test my source water for the same reasons when my results seem odd. If it's not that then it would be hard to ID the problem. If it was something like overfeeding you should detect nitrites at some point but you don't. It's strange to me, too.

Yeah nitrites show up in the 80g but don't know why they don't for the 30g. ?
It's not over feeding for sure only thing in there is a peppermint shrimp an emerald crab and a nassarius snail aling with 15 hermits. I just added a halimeda plant in a few days ago. The leaves pop off when I move it to check it. Is that a sign it's dying off?

Cjsanders757 said:
Yeah nitrites show up in the 80g but don't know why they don't for the 30g. dde21
It's not over feeding for sure only thing in there is a peppermint shrimp an emerald crab and a nassarius snail aling with 15 hermits. I just added a halimeda plant in a few days ago. The leaves pop off when I move it to check it. Is that a sign it's dying off?

Yeah, better check the alkalinity, calcium and salinity in that tank. Halimeda needs the same levels as corals to do well.

CorallineAlgae said:
Yeah, better check the alkalinity, calcium and salinity in that tank. Halimeda needs the same levels as corals to do well.

Just ordered a reef test kit and an phosban reactor. :)

Cjsanders757 said:
Just ordered a reef test kit and an phosban reactor. :)

That's great news! Just check out some YouTube videos before setting up the reactor. They work wonderfully but it's important to get a good idea about how to run them well before setting it up if you haven't used them. Reactors can be tricky.

CorallineAlgae said:
That's great news! Just check out some YouTube videos before setting up the reactor. They work wonderfully but it's important to get a good idea about how to run them well before setting it up if you haven't used them. Reactors can be tricky.

Can I just dose calcium without testing? Or is too much overkill?

Never dose anything without testing. In your case I'd say it is overkill. It takes one stocked coral tank to need calcium dosed like this. Normally weekly water changes will replace the calcium.

Caulerpa in my refugium along with chaeto regrowing also has Hawaiian black sand and some live rock.

Attachments

• image-57408666.jpg
    image-57408666.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 67
Breaking news I finally caught my damsel he is now in my 30 gallon by himself!

HELP!!!
Need help with cyano I have four power heads and its still growing where my pumps are blowing. I'll be doing more frequent water changes when I get the money to do so. Any help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom