Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

The 80 gallon is about a year or do old but I just completely changed the Sand bed on the 12th of October and added about 30 pounds of base rock. The sand is Bahamian sand and Fiji pink live sand. I plan on doing a big water change this weekend due to the nitrates being so high

Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, that makes it much clearer. You hadn't mentioned the 30 before so it threw me, Your levels are just about what you would expect given all the work you just did. Some water changes should get you back on track.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
Okay, that makes it much clearer. You hadn't mentioned the 30 before so it threw me, Your levels are just about what you would expect given all the work you just did. Some water changes should get you back on track.
Ok thanks.
What about on my 30g it always shows no nitrites but shows ammonia and nitrates.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsanders757

Ok thanks.
What about on my 30g it always shows no nitrites but shows ammonia and nitrates.
You may want to test a fresh batch of saltwater before you add it to your tank to rule out either the test, which are faulty sometimes, or your source water. I occasionally test my source water for the same reasons when my results seem odd. If it's not that then it would be hard to ID the problem. If it was something like overfeeding you should detect nitrites at some point but you don't. It's strange to me, too.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

You may want to test a fresh batch of saltwater before you add it to your tank to rule out either the test, which are faulty sometimes, or your source water. I occasionally test my source water for the same reasons when my results seem odd. If it's not that then it would be hard to ID the problem. If it was something like overfeeding you should detect nitrites at some point but you don't. It's strange to me, too.
Yeah nitrites show up in the 80g but don't know why they don't for the 30g. 😡
It's not over feeding for sure only thing in there is a peppermint shrimp an emerald crab and a nassarius snail aling with 15 hermits. I just added a halimeda plant in a few days ago. The leaves pop off when I move it to check it. Is that a sign it's dying off?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Yeah nitrites show up in the 80g but don't know why they don't for the 30g. dde21
It's not over feeding for sure only thing in there is a peppermint shrimp an emerald crab and a nassarius snail aling with 15 hermits. I just added a halimeda plant in a few days ago. The leaves pop off when I move it to check it. Is that a sign it's dying off?
Yeah, better check the alkalinity, calcium and salinity in that tank. Halimeda needs the same levels as corals to do well.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Yeah, better check the alkalinity, calcium and salinity in that tank. Halimeda needs the same levels as corals to do well.
Just ordered a reef test kit and an phosban reactor.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Just ordered a reef test kit and an phosban reactor.
That's great news! Just check out some YouTube videos before setting up the reactor. They work wonderfully but it's important to get a good idea about how to run them well before setting it up if you haven't used them. Reactors can be tricky.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

That's great news! Just check out some YouTube videos before setting up the reactor. They work wonderfully but it's important to get a good idea about how to run them well before setting it up if you haven't used them. Reactors can be tricky.
Can I just dose calcium without testing? Or is too much overkill?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #30
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Never dose anything without testing. In your case I'd say it is overkill. It takes one stocked coral tank to need calcium dosed like this. Normally weekly water changes will replace the calcium.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com