Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

80 X-High

Has anybody had any experience with the 80 X-High aquarium?

My wife and I recently acquired a stand for a new tank and in our looking around the web discovered this tank mentioned on a couple websites but haven't been able to find anywhere to order it. Before we go silly trying to find one I was wanting to see if anybody's dealt with it before.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:52 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I personally dont like X-High tanks. They have very limited surface area for gas exchange because they are so tall. With the limited gas exchange for example an Xtra tall 80 probably has the surface area of a 55 gal tank or something simular. So in reality even though its an 80 gal tank you should still base your tank capacity as if it was a 55 gal because the suface area is no greater.

Not to mention tanks deeper than 24" can be a real PITA to maintain cause the bottom is so deep.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 12:29 PM   #3

Hmmm....

...so let's say it was to become a reef tank with a few reef fish.

It would be big and pretty, but just a pain in the butt to clean. I think my wife could deal with that.

Has anybody ever seen an appx. price? I just can't find anyplace that actually sells them.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Found the following info on the 80 X High.

http://www.alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm

If you go to the site above you can see the dimentions. Basicly its just a hair longer than a 55 and is just over 30" tall. A reef tank thats 30" tall will need high output MH lights. The depth is only 14" making it very hard to aquascape IMO.

All in all it would have the surface area of a 55 gal and shoudl have the same stocking capacity.

No idea where to find one yet. All Glass only has a 20, 30 and 110 Xtra high.

http://www.all-glass.com/products/aquariums/xhigh.shtml

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products_dimensions.html

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:23 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
www.glasscages.com
He can make any size and is very affordable.

My new tank will be 30 inches tall. I have 400watt halides. That is what you will need to have a reef, so keep in mind that cost also.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was looking into the deep tanks as well I really like the way they look BUT trying to light the tank for maximum health of the lifestock will be hard & expensive.... I ended up going with a 120 gallon 48 long 24 deep 24 high and I love it... You might want to look into the depth of the tank instead of height.. Good luck
Old 03-25-2004, 03:45 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with reefobsessed, I cant overstate how much the front to back depth of the tank plays when it comes to decorating with live rock and general apperance.

Old 03-25-2004, 11:47 PM   #8

Hmmm...all good points. 8O I'll have to keep all of that in mind. We haven't really done much toward the reef tank besides thought about it a bit, looked at a buncha pictures of them, and a casual look at light prices....ouchie there.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com