90, 75, or 55 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonny_raff

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have been debating a larger tank for a while and have set my budget for up to a 90 gallon but no larger! I currently have a 55 FOWLR that is doing great! I have a few questions on upgrading and what kind of stocklist I could have with a larger tank.

1) Are larger tanks more stable as in water perameters?
2)How big should my sump/refugium be on a 75 or 90g?
3)Are larger tanks eaisier or harder to maintain as in water changes?
4)For lighting I currently have to Current LED system on my tank and I just want to grow softies and polyps, is that amount of light ok?

Stock Questions

1)I have always wanted a Yellow Tang so if I upgraded to a 90 would I be able to have one?
2)Are there any other larger fish that I couldn't have in my 55 that i can have in a 75 or 90?

Thanks in advance for answering, I really appreciate all ypur guys' advice!

I think the issue with tangs isn't so much the water volume but the swimming space. They like to swim and a 4' tank may not be long enough.

So I have been debating a larger tank for a while and have set my budget for up to a 90 gallon but no larger! I currently have a 55 FOWLR that is doing great! I have a few questions on upgrading and what kind of stocklist I could have with a larger tank.

1) Are larger tanks more stable as in water perameters?
2)How big should my sump/refugium be on a 75 or 90g?
3)Are larger tanks eaisier or harder to maintain as in water changes?
4)For lighting I currently have to Current LED system on my tank and I just want to grow softies and polyps, is that amount of light ok?

Stock Questions

1)I have always wanted a Yellow Tang so if I upgraded to a 90 would I be able to have one?
2)Are there any other larger fish that I couldn't have in my 55 that i can have in a 75 or 90?

Thanks in advance for answering, I really appreciate all ypur guys' advice!

I'll number my answered to go with your questions
1. Yes more water = more stability
2. For a sump it's best to go as big as you can.
3. While I've never run a system with more than ~65 gals total volume, no it is not harder to do wc's on bigger systems per say but you do change out more water so it may take a little more time, and more salt costs.
4. Not real sure on the effectiveness of the orbits on a tank as tall as a 90 but from what I've read if you have multiple units it helps, so I think you'd probably do ok with softies.
Stock questions
1. While I may catch some grief for this, yes a 90 is fine for a yellow as long as you stock responsibly. Big fish=lots of waste, even when they're small.
2. Check liveaquaria and search by tank size and you'll see some options that would work. Then I'd recommend coming back here and getting some peoples experiences with the fish your interested in.

You have to remember also, that this bigger the system the more expensive equipment is going to be.

So for stocking I was thinking a yellow eyed kole tang, snowflake eel, one spot foxface, and pinkface wrasse

I would try and get a cost basis figured out for each size, inclusive of equipment, and decide what's best for your budget first. It's hard to enjoy the tank when the card is maxed out just from getting the system running and have no fish lol

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So for stocking I was thinking a yellow eyed kole tang, snowflake eel, one spot foxface, and pinkface wrasse

I think the Kole will do better than a Yellow in that size tank, so that is a better choice. The pink face wrasse might get too big...an 11" wrasse in a 4' tank doesn't give a lot of room to cruise around.

McCoskers, melanurus, mystery, six line, a bunch more idk off the top of my head. Most flasher/fairy wrasses would be fine.

Check liveaquaria for ideas/pics of the different wrasses. My personal favorite would be the carpenters flasher wrasse, but due to there extremely timid nature they really need to be the first fish in

So my new stock list for a 90 would be kole tang, hoevens wrasse, lemon peel angel, snowflake eel, and one spot foxface! Does that sound ok? If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them!

Back
Top Bottom