Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

90 gallon reef lighting

Have decided to go the MH route from the start (otherwise I'll end up upgrading later)!

Tank is 24 inches deep.

I'm looking at the 48" Aquaspacelights @ Captivereefs (wife loves the look of the fixtures)

Would I absolutely need to get the dual 250's or will the dual 150's be enough light to possibly keep clams and other light loving corals happy?

I live in Florida, so heat issues are of a foremost concern (will be an open tank)

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

(many apologies for putting up yet another "watts per gallon / light intensity-penetration" )

Cheers

nick

Old 01-11-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do they make a MH 150w? I thought they were either 175w or 250w.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

the HQI double ended bulbs are 150 watt

Some corals and inverts yet to be identified!
nickthapainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Whoops, double-post.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 01-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have the Coralife MH hood and it is spectacular. It is a 2X150W MH setup with 2X96W actinic PC lights as well. I have mine over a 72G which is also 48" wide so you could use the same one on your 90G. With that much light, 5.5watts/G you should be able to keep just about anything. Clams or SPS you might need to put higher up in the tank, but they will love the MH.

I got my light from www.captivereefs.com and used the AA discount. I highly suggest it.

tripper
Old 01-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think you'd be alright with the 150s, myself.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 01-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I like the fact that the Coralife hood is remote ballasted (less heat in close proximity to the water).

How high do you keep your lights from the surface of the water?

Would I be able to mount these lights as a pendant (easier to place fans delow the bulbs)

TIA

nick

Old 01-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

almost forgot,

by how many degrees do your lights raise the water temperature?

Old 01-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 250w MH about 10" over a 44 gallon tank in a hood that's 75% enclosed. I put 2 fans in there just in case, but there is no noticeable temperature increase - and that's with the fans off.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 01-11-2005, 05:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You'd probably be able to use it as a pendant unless it's a retrofit kit specifically designed to fit in a hood.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC

Tags
90 gallon, light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com