Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think what I am scared of is the enormous cost of anything bigger than a 90. I looked at Jacks and they got everything for a reef system with lights and everything for around $1500 pre-drilled. I looked on Cragslist and other sites and I can get a bigger tank a 200 gallon for that price without being drilled. I wouldn't know how to drill a tank and would be scared to do so. I can do it, but I don't know how to set up a sump tank and all that. The one at Jacks comes with all that ready to go.

I am planing on learning how to do a sump tank, because if I am going to do something this big, I need to know. So I am sure that fear of mine will go away once I start learning how too. The drilling part will still scare me!

Lets say I get a 200 gallon tank pre-drilled with a sump tank and plumbing ready to. I can and I have found some for about 2 grand. How much more would it cost me to set that tank up and be ready to go? How much live rock would I need for it? I hear that each tank needs at least as much live rock for each gallon it holds. So 200 pounds of live rock!

I found this, is this even good live rock?

Buy Walt Smith Premium Fiji Live Rock - 44 lb. Box Online | Vivid Aquariums

I just think I get scared of price when it comes to going bigger. I am not scared of commitment to the tank or learning how to do it. A lot of people tell me Bigger is easier.

baron1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The only reason I said purple was b/c it's my favorite tang. Yellow would be less aggressive most likely.

Yellow and purple are pushing it in a 75 but depending on the fish it may work. 6' is the to be safe general recommendation. A bristletooth or kole would be a better fit as the generally reach 5' most sites show the largest scientifically recorded specimen so usually take 1-2 inches off. It's like saying people grow up to be 8'0 ft tall when in reality we usually are around 6'0ft.

Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm following this thread to the T.. I plan on doing a 90 gallon reef in the near future.. currently have a 29 gallon reef with 2 occy clowns, 1 firefish, CUC, and about 8 diff corals

DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote

90 gallon, gallon, reef, reef tank, start, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com